How do I uninstall ownCloud from a remote server?

Ask all your questions regarding OC 5.x Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
Version 5 is not supported anymore! Only security issues are fixed. Please upgrade your ownCloud.
Before you post; make sure you are using at least PHP Version 5.3.x - Also read Support Forum - Read this before posting

How do I uninstall ownCloud from a remote server?

Postby Thunderbird » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:00 pm

I installed ownCloud on a Linux remote server that hosts my website but now I realize this is too technical for me to use and maintain. So I wish to uninstall ownCloud from that server. How do I do that?

There was a php setup file for installing. Is there an uninstall file somewhere?

Thanks.
Thunderbird
Beginner

ownCloud version: 5.0.0

Re: How do I uninstall ownCloud from a remote server?

Postby RandolphCarter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Removing ownCloud is rather easy. It will usually involve 2-3 steps:
  • If you configured your data directory to be somwhere outside your ownCloud program directory, remove that (or keep it if you still need the files therein)
  • Remove your ownCloud database - or more specifically, the database tables from owncloud (usually the ones with oc_ prefix)
  • Remove ownCloud program files (e.g. via FTP) - usually, when you installed via the webinstaller, you will have them in some subdirectory of your root web account; but be careful, by default, your data directory is also inside that ownCloud program directory, if you still need those files make sure NOT to delete those!
90 % of all forum questions could be solved if posters did what
90 % of those posting answers to their questions are doing: enter their question into google and read...

-- shamelessly copied/translated from user xxMuahdibxx in computerbase.de forums
RandolphCarter
Inventory

ownCloud version: 7.0.2
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.5.x

Postby Thunderbird » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:40 pm

Thank you.

When you say remove, you mean delete, right?

I don't need to keep anything. So I can delete just the entire folder in which I installed ownCloud?

Did the php setup file install any files elsewhere?
Thunderbird
Beginner

Postby RandolphCarter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:46 pm

When you say remove, you mean delete, right?

Yes. Remove, delete, erase, however you want to call it :D.

I don't need to keep anything. So I can delete just the entire folder in which I installed ownCloud?

Correct.

Did the php setup file install any files elsewhere?

Files, not as far as I know - except if you specified a different data directory (have never used the web installer myself, but if it's anything like the "normal" setup routine, you would be able to specify a data directory of your choosing, which also would be created).
The database of course is not really a file and would need to be taken care of separately as mentioned in my above post.

By the way, sorry to see you leave :(. Anything specific which turned you down? If it was the "bugginess" of the 5.0.0/1/2 releases, you might want to try either the 4.5.8 or 5.0.3 releases, they contain considerably less bugs...
90 % of all forum questions could be solved if posters did what
90 % of those posting answers to their questions are doing: enter their question into google and read...

-- shamelessly copied/translated from user xxMuahdibxx in computerbase.de forums
RandolphCarter
Inventory

ownCloud version: 7.0.2
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.5.x

Postby Thunderbird » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:21 am

I may get back to it later when I have more time and have read and learned more.

The setup on the remote server went very smoothly but setting up the calendars, etc. was harder because the instructions were not good enough for me. I could upload files to the server but never got them to be loaded into the owncloud calendar for instance.

For example, for a novice like me, your instruction to:
"Remove your ownCloud database - or more specifically, the database tables from owncloud (usually the ones with oc_ prefix)"
followed by
"The database of course is not really a file and would need to be taken care of separately as mentioned in my above post."

is way over my head. What do you mean by "The database of course is not really a file"? How do I access whatever created the database so I can remove it?

How exactly do I "Remove your ownCloud database" if it is not really a file?

That's the main reason I am quitting now. For someone who does not know the first thing about php and SQL, it's like trying to follow instructions in a foreign language. Newbies like me need instructions simple like
1. click on ....
2. enter ...
etc.

None of this is your fault. It's my ignorance and therefore the fear of not knowing what I am doing and really messing up.

Reminds me of my wife when I give her instructions for something on her pc. It's easier for me to just go and do it myself <g>

I really, really appreciate your help. You have no idea! Thank you.
Thunderbird
Beginner

Postby ..... » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 am

Hi,

removing your database depends on which you're using. If you're using SQLite you have already deleted the database with the removal of the /owncloud folder. If you're using MySQL have a look at this howto / infos:

https://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/ar ... intro.html

or use a tool like http://www.phpmyadmin.net/ or https://www.mysql.de/products/workbench/ to connect to your server and delete the proper database.
*inactive*
OwnCloud master

Postby Thunderbird » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:23 pm

All done.

Thank you all.
Thunderbird
Beginner

Return to ownCloud Community Edition 5.x