Shared Server setup

Ask all your questions regarding OC 4.x and older. Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
Before you post; make sure you are using at least PHP Version 5.3.x - Also read How To Solve Problems By Yourself

Shared Server setup

Postby fubofo » Tue May 08, 2012 10:06 am

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been covered before but I recently just heard of OwnCloud and was wondering if it was possible to have it set up on a shared server?
fubofo

Re: Shared Server setup

Postby danielholm » Fri May 11, 2012 11:30 pm

Hi,

What do you mean Shared Server? You could set up ownCloud on any server running a webserver and also have the needed PHP packages installed.
danielholm

Postby fubofo » Sat May 12, 2012 3:03 pm

Most online hosting packages are set up using what's called a 'shared server' experience. Basically this is multiple hosting accounts on one system, all sharing resources and generally without any full root privileges. Things like SSL certs, databases, etc are all 'shared' and some services/functions tend to be disabled (Tomcat for example).

I just wanted to know if there were any strange configurations in OwnCloud that would mean it could not be set up and run from a shared server where such things are limited/restricted.

It doesn't matter anyway as I can confirm that it DOES work fine (so far) on shared servers. I successfully went ahead and installed/configured OwnCloud on one of my own hosting packages as a test.

Only limitation for me now is that my provider doesn't allow hosting packages to be used as 'backup' or file storage facilities - everything must be publicly viewable
fubofo

Postby SteveRiley » Mon May 14, 2012 5:53 am

fubofo wrote:Only limitation for me now is that my provider doesn't allow hosting packages to be used as 'backup' or file storage facilities - everything must be publicly viewable

Hm... I'm testing OwnCloud on Amazon Web Services now, but was eventually going to migrate elsewhere when my free year expires. Which provider are you on now? Sounds like that one wouldn't work for me...
SteveRiley
Beginner

Webserver: Apache
Database: PostgreSQL
PHP version: 5.4.4

Postby fubofo » Mon May 14, 2012 10:53 am

I actually resell web hosting for Heart Internet in the UK.

You will probably find that most shared hosting providers will have similar terms of use. They tend to allow file storage/sharing facilities through VPS or Dedicated server setups only (on which you can absolutely anything you want and have full root access).
fubofo

Return to ownCloud Community Edition 4.x and older