htaccess warning

Ask all your questions regarding OC 4.x and older. Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
Before you post; make sure you are using at least PHP Version 5.3.x - Also read How To Solve Problems By Yourself

htaccess warning

Postby innate » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm running ownCloud on Windows 7.

I'm receiving the following message in the Admin section of ownCloud "Your data directory and your files are probably accessible from the internet. The .htaccess file that ownCloud provides is not working. We strongly suggest that you configure your webserver in a way that the data directory is no longer accessible or you move the data directory outside the webserver document root."

How can I go about fixing this?
innate

Re: htaccess warning

Postby innate » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:21 pm

From what I've been able to research IIS doesn't use htaccess. So do I need to worry about this?
innate

Postby louis-m » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:51 pm

i think we are sadly in need of an owncloud employee on here who can answer these questions.
exposing your webserver creates caveats that you need to know.
i haven't yet seen a recommended "if you are running owncloud on apache/iis etc, the recommended security practices are......."
i like owncloud and it has massive potential but personally i'm not prepared to run it exposed yet.
louis-m
Beginner

Postby maz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:44 pm

It's easy to get rid of the htaccess warning: do not use the default data directory or any other subdirectory of wwwroot. To choose a new data directory you don't have to install oc again. Just move the content of the data directory to the new location and modify the config\config.php. (If you're using a base dir do not append a \ to the drive letter.)

As reported on many posts oc is buggy at the moment. Backup your data before you move...

Good luck
maz

Return to ownCloud Community Edition 4.x and older