Real iCloud replacement?

Ask all your questions regarding OC 4.x and older. Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
Version 4 is not supported anymore! Please upgrade your ownCloud for security and support.
Before you post; make sure you are using at least PHP Version 5.3.x - Also read Support Forum - Read this before posting

Real iCloud replacement?

Postby timi1413 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:04 am

Hi there,

I couldn't find all information neither in the forum nor on the website. I know that theoretically it works, but, practically, can I replace all the major services of iCloud by installing owncloud?

Such services like:
Contacts (yes)
Calendars (yes)
Reminders (yes or no)
Bookmarks (yes or no)
Notes (yes or no)
Documents and Data (yes or no)
Mail (yes or no)

Best

Timi
timi1413

Re: Real iCloud replacement?

Postby FordPrefect » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:19 pm

timi1413 wrote:Hi there,

I couldn't find all information neither in the forum nor on the website. I know that theoretically it works, but, practically, can I replace all the major services of iCloud by installing owncloud?

Such services like:
Contacts (yes)
Calendars (yes)
Reminders (yes or no)
Bookmarks (yes or no)
Notes (yes or no)
Documents and Data (yes or no)
Mail (yes or no)

Best

Timi

Let me add to your list:

Bookmarks (yes) - with the Bookmarks app
Notes (yes) - with the ATNotes app
Documents and Data (yes) - with the Files app

Not sure about the Mail thing as I don't use anything like this on my owncloud.
FordPrefect
Helpful Elf

Postby simonsays42 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Short answer: no.

I also doubt that ownCloud will ever be considered a serious alternative to iCloud in the future because apple just wont let that happen.**

iCloud features handled by ownCloud:

itunes in the cloud (music, movies, tv shows):
    Not supported by owncloud. You can however upload your own videos stored in "Photos" using the owncloud* app. It's a totally different thing though.

photo stream:
    Photo stream allows you to store a picture into the cloud the moment you take it. It's obviously not supported either. You can however upload pictures stored in "Photos" using the owncloud* app. But you have to do it manually for every picture you took...

documents in the cloud:
    Don't work either since documents you've created using an app are usually stored within the apps local application folder. So in order to share your documents across multiple IOS devices the entire app has to be synced to the cloud (see below).

apps:
    Don't work (see documents in the cloud).

ibooks:
    Don't work (see documents in the cloud).

calendar, contacts and mail: (also notes and reminders)
    This can be handled partially by owncloud. However notes/reminders and emails have to be handled differently using IMAP/Outlook/Google/etc....

backup and restore:
    Don't work.

bookmarks:
    Don't work.

* Any webdav client...
** They could on jailbroken devices but I'm not going to see that happen either.

regards

simon

By the way: If you like to have your bookmarks stored in a "cloud" you should definitely go for firefox sync server (aka mozilla weave server). Have all your tabs, bookmarks, history, etc. on any device using firefox (or firefox home on IOS devices). It's a beauty.

[UPDATE]:
- Photo stream feature is possible using alternative apps.
- Using owncloud app on IOS is currently NOT recommended. Instead WebDAV Nav or similar software that is more mature and has more features should be used. (IMHO)
simonsays42
Beginner

Postby timi1413 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:33 am

Thanks folks! I like your posts! :-)

The only concern that I have is that you posted contradictory information pertaining bookmarks and reminders. So, does bookmark sync work or not? I admit, that notes have to be handled different than any other file and potentially synced over IMAP. But is it the same for reminders since they are part of calendars and supposedly saved in the same files? And for this purpose CalDav should be enough?!

PS: I think, besides current features of owncloud it might be also interesting to implement - natively or through additional programs - features that might be comparable to those of possible competitors.
timi1413

Postby FordPrefect » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:33 am

timi1413 wrote:Thanks folks! I like your posts! :-)

The only concern that I have is that you posted contradictory information pertaining bookmarks and reminders. So, does bookmark sync work or not? I admit, that notes have to be handled different than any other file and potentially synced over IMAP. But is it the same for reminders since they are part of calendars and supposedly saved in the same files? And for this purpose CalDav should be enough?!

PS: I think, besides current features of owncloud it might be also interesting to implement - natively or through additional programs - features that might be comparable to those of possible competitors.

Hi timi, hope I didn't give confusing information, as I don't have any knowledge about the iCloud. To make that more clear, I didn't mean to say that bookmarks can be synchronized. There is the bookmark app that holds your bookmark information within ownCloud. Then my idea was that you can access this information from any device, whether it's PC or iPhone. I didn't talk about reminders ;-)

Anyway, I guess your PS expresses what I think as well, as all the ownCloud information is sitting in the database, one could picture writing apps that can access this. On a lighter note I'm currently doing exactly that by creating an app that synchronizes Lotus Notes calendar to ownCloud. In the future I plan to expand this to contacts and todos.
FordPrefect
Helpful Elf

Postby steelsnake » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:26 am

Actually a few corrections / additions:

You can store and retrieve docs from/to Apple iWorks (Pages, Numbers etc.pp.) by using their WebDAV connector. Since the apps stay "logged in" as long as the device isn't rebooted or one logs out manually, it's even more or less painless.

The same holds true for using it on any Apple computer. In fact, there you can just mount the WebDAV share as a regular folder, accessible by almost every program (except, famously, MS Office/MS Outlook... figures).

Practically, it depends a lot on what you mean by "replacement". Apple flat out doesn't play nice with anything BUT Apple, and iCloud is unfortunately no different. Theoretically, it would be easy enough to allow _any_ WebDAV store for much of iClouds functionality. Practically... as someone already said, not gonna happen, not in a million years.
steelsnake

Return to ownCloud Community Edition 4.x and older