Client on Mac unreliable/useless?

Ask all your questions on desktop sync clients. Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
Questions on desktop sync clients only.
You want to report a bug or check for feature requests?
Please visit https://github.com/owncloud/mirall/issues

Re: Client on Mac unreliable/useless?

Postby rodrigo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:59 pm

Hmm. I didn't bother trying to figure out what the problem was on the client side with the CPU spiking. After noticing it on two separate occasions I delete the whole shebang (I use my laptop in a (music) performance situation often and can't risk errand CPU shenanigans).

The proposed change sounds promising.

Also, I think I made an enhancement suggestion on the github (couldn't see where to label the type of issue).
rodrigo

Postby rakekniven » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Labeling is done by devs.
Could you please provide issue no.?
Server OS: Linux, web hosting service, no ssh
DB: MySQL 5.1.63
Desktop Client: latest version suitable to server version
Mobile version: iOS stuff
rakekniven
Forum Moderator

ownCloud version: 7.0.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.5.x

Postby Len » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:20 pm

rodrigo wrote:So I gave 4.5/1.1.1 a spin and it's still really unreliable/useless.

I get real bad CPU spikes on both the client and server machines (up to 100% on/off like every minute or so). I don't know what triggers it but I'll notice my fan spinning like crazy then when I check activity monitor it shows the client is to blame.

This is on two separate client machines (MacBookPro and iMac, both with the latest(10.8.2) Mountain Lion)

It also seem to be really inconsistent in deleting files (often pushing them right back).

Even if the crazy CPU spikes weren't there, I couldn't trust the client to handle the files if it doesn't let me delete anything.

The taskbar icon is all but useless to tell wether it's syncing or not (the actual part that shows the change must be like 3 pixels tall). Can't the whole thing change (ala dropbox taskbar icon).

More than anything, I want to get away from dropbox, but it seems that update after update from owncloud doesn't improve the core functionality.
I can't imagine what the enterprise version would be doing different, because as this stands, I wouldn't count on it for anything at all, and it's free software....

To sum up, is anyone getting dropbox like reliability/useability for a high amount and GB of files (8gb and 12k files) on a Mac?

I'm experiencing some of your issues. I don't have the CPU spikes running that high, both server side as client side. I do have problems syncing large folders with +5GB data and over 20k files. (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4961#p11818)
Sync client: 1.1.1 (Mac)
Server: Apache2
MySQL: 5.1.63-0
PHP: 5.3.3-7
Len
Beginner

ownCloud version: 4.5.2

Postby rakekniven » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Issue at github regarding small icon status on Mac OS X : https://github.com/owncloud/mirall/issues/64
Server OS: Linux, web hosting service, no ssh
DB: MySQL 5.1.63
Desktop Client: latest version suitable to server version
Mobile version: iOS stuff
rakekniven
Forum Moderator

ownCloud version: 7.0.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.5.x

Previous

Return to ownCloud desktop sync clients