Sync speed using the client extremely slow, fine in Browser.

Ask all your questions regarding OC 4.x and older. Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
Version 4 is not supported anymore! Please upgrade your ownCloud for security and support.
Before you post; make sure you are using at least PHP Version 5.3.x - Also read Support Forum - Read this before posting

Sync speed using the client extremely slow, fine in Browser.

Postby racemoto » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:46 am

Hi,

when uploading files using the web interface, owncloud just works fine. However, when uploading files/folders using the sync client from the same machine (on Mac OS X), upload speed is extremely poor.

e.g.:

5 Mbit/s via web interface
10 kB/s via sync client

I just tested the connection using scp (directly onto another dir), getting 5Mbit/s as well...

Is there anything I am missing/overseeing? Is there a configurable bandwidth limitation in the sync client?

Thanks a lot in advance,
best regards,
André

-----
Environment: KVM Virtual Machine on RootServer (both Ubuntu Linux)
Server: Apache
Database: MySQL
Client: Sync Client 1.1.0, Firefox 15.0.1
OC-Version: 4.5
PHP-Version: 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.2
racemoto

Re: Sync speed using the client extremely slow, fine in Brow

Postby racemoto » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:42 pm

I am not sure whether this might be the reason, but I just stumbled upon an enormous amount of log entries in the apache error log.
Code: Select all
(...)
[Mon Oct 15 12:39:12 2012] [error] [client XX.XXX.XXX.XXX] PHP Warning:  filectime(): stat failed for /var/www/owncloud/data/admin/files/folder1/folder2/Logo in /var/www/owncloud/lib/filestorage/local.php on line 58
[Mon Oct 15 12:39:12 2012] [error] [client XX.XXX.XXX.XXX] PHP Warning:  filesize(): stat failed for /var/www/owncloud/data/admin/files/folder1/folder2/Corporate_Design/Logo in /var/www/owncloud/lib/filestorage/local.php on line 45
[Mon Oct 15 12:39:12 2012] [error] [client XX.XXX.XXX.XXX] PHP Warning:  filemtime(): stat failed for /var/www/owncloud/data/admin/files/folder1/folder2/Corporate_Design/Logo in /var/www/owncloud/lib/filestorage/local.php on line 61
(...)

This keeps on repeating very rapidly as long as the client is syncing / running.
racemoto

Postby dick1980 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:40 pm

I'm running into the same issue, and we're not alone according to this bug report: http://bugs.owncloud.org/thebuggenie/ow ... es/oc-2110

Hope this get's solved soon!
dick1980
Beginner

Postby BlackSmile » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:30 am

Hello there,
just to say I have exactly the same problem. Upload via browser seems OK not quiet good (as I get 120 ko/s) But using client sync let me a poor 10 ko/s (tend more to 5 ko/s). I'm using OC 4.5(.1a)
Dick1980, sorry but don't see any related to the problem in this bug you linked.

Hope they is a solution.

Racemoto how do you get apache log (I'm on 1&1) don't know If I can get any information.
Environment : SharedHosting (1&1)
Server API : CGI/FastCGI
Database : mySQL
Client : Finder / Safari / Chrome / OCclient (OSX - Windows)
OC-Version : 4.5.1a
PHP-Version : PHP dev (5.4.8)
BlackSmile

Postby racemoto » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:03 pm

Running my own server, so access to the logfiles is easy ;-)

However, I am pretty sure access and error logs should be available on your 1&1 host as well! The manual/help/support of 1&1 should tell where they reside...
racemoto

Postby robgun » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Is there still no answer or resolution to this issue? I am experiencing the same thing but I'm not sure if it's Owncloud or the connection speed.
I am using a satellite connection with a 512kbps upload speed limit and a 10mbps download speed limit.
Owncloud manages to synch directories (folders) but no files regardless of the size.

I know I'm posting on an old topic but maybe one of the moderators can push me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
robgun

ownCloud version: 4.0.13
Webserver: Apache
PHP version: N/A

Postby RandolphCarter » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:29 pm

Is there still no answer or resolution to this issue?

I'm not sure what you expect when answering on a thread whose last entry is nearly 2 years old...?

I am experiencing the same thing but I'm not sure if it's Owncloud or the connection speed.

There's quite a lot of factors to the speed ownCloud is providing. It can be said though that there are configurations where ownCloud is really fast. Examples for big speed hogs include for example using sqlite database instead of e.g. mysql. And also in recent client&server versions there's supposed to be quite the speedup (so in case you really are still using the 4.0.13 as indicated in your signature, an update is highly suggested ;)!). But without more information about your setup, and observations as to what transfer speeds/times you encounter, it's quite impossible to give improvement suggestions.

Owncloud manages to synch directories (folders) but no files regardless of the size.

So you're not able to sync files at all, only directories? Then that seems a completely different issue... I'd start by checking both the client log files and server log files.
RandolphCarter
Inventory

ownCloud version: 7.0.1
Webserver: Apache
PHP version: 5.5.x

Return to ownCloud Community Edition 4.x and older