ownCloud uses all my RAM on large file uploads

Ask all your questions regarding OC 4.x and older. Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
Version 4 is not supported anymore! Please upgrade your ownCloud for security and support.
Before you post; make sure you are using at least PHP Version 5.3.x - Also read Support Forum - Read this before posting

ownCloud uses all my RAM on large file uploads

Postby swdrumm » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:53 am

I just got ownCloud working on a Raspberry Pi Model B (512 MB) w/ the Debian "wheezy" distribution. When I try to upload "large" files (anything over 200 MB), the transfer times out before completion. A little investigating (repeated calls to 'free -h' and snooping around /tmp) revealed that the uploads were going to system RAM rather than being written to disk. The system drops to about 48M free and then the upload stalls...until php's max_execution_time is exceeded, at which point apache releases the allocated memory and cancels the upload script.

Any idea why this is happening?

FYI, I have the following settings in /etc/php/apache2/php.ini:
upload_max_filesize = 2048M
post_max_size = 2048M
max_execution_time = 900
max_input_time = -1
memory_limit = 128M
extension=apc.so

...and in /var/www/owncloud/.htaccess
php_value upload_max_filesize = 2048M
php_value post_max_size = 2048M
php_value memory_limit = 128M

...and my virtual hosts file reads:
<Directory /var/www/owncloud>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Multiviews
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

Thanks!
swdrumm

Re: ownCloud uses all my RAM on large file uploads

Postby swdrumm » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:38 am

OK, after 4 days of playing w/ ownCloud, I'm convinced it's (1) poorly documented, (2) exceptionally buggy, and (3) definitely not ready for production use.

Of the three, #1 is the biggest issue, IMHO. It used to be that you could find good technical documentation on sites like http://www.tldp.org The info provided under ownCloud's documentation link is skimpy at best and does not yield a fully-functional implementation.

Case in point...the nginx install guide makes no mention of the client_body_buffer_size parameter. The default value for nginx is 2 * page size - typically 8k or 16k. At least on my system (Raspberry Pi), you can't upload large files w/ the default setting - you have to bump it up to around 128k. Problems w/ uploading large files on ownCloud are all over the net w/ results ranging from "it seems to work" to "never works".

Another bug...if you disable the media app, delete a user, and re-enable the media app - you can't add the same user back b/c there's already an entry for them in the oc_media_users table in owncloud.db Your only recourse is to go into owncloud.db manually w/ sqlite3 and cleanup the mess. Not my idea of fun.

The sync clients are also thoroughly borken, with behavior that ranges from the frustrating to the bizarre.

I realize rants like this aren't very helpful, yet I hope that the dev team takes a hard look at the priority of their backlog...it's nice to be able to play music and upload your contacts, but what would really be nice is ultra-reliable file sync and clear installation guides, don't ya think?

Back to Dropbox....for now.
swdrumm

Postby bender » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:41 am

unfortunately that true atm
Apache 2.2 - PHP 5.3.10 - OC 4.5.5 - ubuntu 12.04
bender
Starter

ownCloud version: 4.5.5

Postby ..... » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:37 pm

First please provide more informations when you have problems like this. In you're first post you have not mention that you're using NginX.

Then just for the notes, there is a new documentation at work over there at github:

https://github.com/owncloud/documentation

swdrumm wrote:Case in point...the nginx install guide makes no mention of the client_body_buffer_size parameter. The default value for nginx is 2 * page size - typically 8k or 16k.

Sorry, but it's not the job of the OwnCloud devs to make a documentation for every single webserver or the options of those webservers. :roll:

AFAIK the NginX guide was written by a community user. If you got more informations like the hint with client_body_buffer_size provide this to the devs, this project lives from the contribution of community. So just create an issue over at github and provide the information above:

https://github.com/owncloud/documentation/issues
*inactive*
OwnCloud master

Postby bender » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:22 pm

Rancor wrote:Sorry, but it's not the job of the OwnCloud devs to make a documentation for every single webserver or the options of those webservers. :roll:

Whoever else?
bender
Starter

Postby ..... » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:26 pm

Good joke :lol:

Do you really want to have the OC Devs to write a documentation of software which the user is running? They should write a documentation about samba, LDAP, AD, FTP and so on? :roll:

This is definitely not the job of the Devs...
*inactive*
OwnCloud master

Postby bender » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:38 pm

i mean ...

when I say it works with nginx, I must also say how
of course, I do not need to explain how you have to install ftp
bender
Starter

Postby ..... » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:42 pm

Where is the statement on the frontpage that OC works with NginX?
*inactive*
OwnCloud master

Postby bender » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:49 pm

bender
Starter

Postby ..... » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:51 pm

Year, i now this installation guide. But there is no statement "Owncloud is know to work with NginX".

The devs could easily write "Only Apache is supported, all other webservers could work too"
*inactive*
OwnCloud master

Next

Return to ownCloud Community Edition 4.x and older