Can't create admin user

Ask all your questions regarding OC 5.x Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
Version 4 is not supported anymore! Please upgrade your ownCloud for security and support.
Before you post; make sure you are using at least PHP Version 5.3.x - Also read Support Forum - Read this before posting

Can't create admin user

Postby perlwonk » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:35 pm

I've installed and uninstalled OwnCloud along with the whole LAMP stack multiple times on a Virtual Private Server, because something wasn't right, I experiment, screw everything up, delete, start over.

COMPLETELY deleting everything has been problematic, but I'm getting close. I've reinstalled the LAMP stack, reinstalled owncloud, and now I'm at the owncloud wizard and it's asking me to create an admin account. I type in 'admin' for the user, and type in some random password, but it gives me an error message:

'MySQL username and/or password not valid'
'You need to enter either and existing account or the administrator.'

I log into mysql and see that so far the 'owncloud' database exists (MySQL), but it has no tables. It seems like the 'admin' user exists somewhere from a previous install attempt, but I don't know where, and I have no idea what the password would have been. Where would admin user be if not the 'owncloud' database? How can I reset this?
perlwonk

ownCloud version: 5.0.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.3.10

Re: Can't create admin user

Postby Rancor » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi,

this user is not the admin user but probably the user of your MySQL database which is saved into an different database than "owncloud". Please see the documentation of MySQL how such user management is done:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en ... ement.html
*mostly inactive*
Rancor
OwnCloud master

ownCloud version: 7.0.1
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 5.5.x

Postby perlwonk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:12 am

If I remember correctly, the first time I attempted to instal owncloud, I installed the LAMP stack, then configured MySQL with a root user and password, then I fired up a MySQL client and created a database, user, and password for owncloud. Then, the last part (that's where I am now), I went to my browser, pointed it to my server_ip_address/owncloud. That launched a wizard, where it asked for an admin user name, and a password, then the owncloud user, password and database name.

For the admin user name, and the admin password, I just put something in. I didn't need to go to my MySQL client to create it first. That's the part that's stumping me. Now, it's telling me that I have to put something in that already exists, which leads me to believe that when I deleted the LAMP stack, something got left behind. If I knew where, I'd delete it and start over.
perlwonk

Postby perlwonk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 pm

I deleted my virtual server and started a new one, but the problem persists. It must have nothing to do with not being able to delete completely the LAMP stack. I tried going into MySQL and creating an admin user and password and put that in the wizard, but it didn't work. Where do I get the admin username and password from? When and where do I create them?
perlwonk

Postby Rancor » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:54 am

Hi,

please have a look at the database setup documentation:

http://doc.owncloud.org/server/5.0/admi ... abase.html

or the MySQL tutorials available on the internet on how to configure / maintain your MySQL database and its users.
*mostly inactive*
Rancor
OwnCloud master

ownCloud version: 7.0.1
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 5.5.x

Postby perlwonk » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:15 am

I found the problem. I needed to supply the root MySQL user name and password, not the owncloud database user and password in the setup wizard. The problem wasn't with the admin and password fields at all. Once I supplied that, everything worked ok. I spent hours on this. Stupidity is really expensive. I wouldn't recommend it. Thanks for your help.
perlwonk

Return to ownCloud Community Edition 5.x