Share as data directory?

Ask all your questions regarding OC 5.x Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
Version 5 is not supported anymore! Only security issues are fixed. Please upgrade your ownCloud.
Before you post; make sure you are using at least PHP Version 5.3.x - Also read Support Forum - Read this before posting

Share as data directory?

Postby jeades » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:32 am

Hi all,

I've run into some issues getting my OwnCloud setup to use a share as my data directory. I have OwnCloud in the DMZ and I have a share on my internal network.

First, I created a local account on the web server and share server with the same username/password. Then I tried:

• Creating a virtual directory that points to the share that connects as the local user or uses pass-through but is hit by the local user. Used the virtual directory as the data directory: http://mysite/OCDataVirtualDirectory/
  • Using a UNC path as the data directory: "\\internalServer\sharedData" where the application pool identity is running as the local user.
  • Creating a symbolic link (mklink) to the share while the application pool identity is running as the local user.

All of the above seems to result in the users files not showing and/or the generic "cannot write to data directory" when the paths appear to work fine when running as the local user outside of OwnCloud.

Has anyone successfully setup the data directory on a share on the Windows platform that could give me some hints? Does anyone know if I can use UNC paths or URLs as the data directory?
jeades

ownCloud version: 5.0.12
Webserver: IIS
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.4

Re: Share as data directory?

Postby RandolphCarter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:49 pm

The error message seems to indicate that the user running the webserver (and therefore also ownCloud) really cannot write into that directory - can you check the directory permissions/ ownership?

I think it's the "IIUSR" user or something like that, though I'm not an expert on the IIS server.

Not sure if you can change the ownership on a share, you might have to make the share writable for everybody.
RandolphCarter
Inventory

ownCloud version: 7.0.1
Webserver: Apache
PHP version: 5.5.x

Postby gleep52 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:23 am

Jeades - did you ever figure this out? I'm looking for something similar...
gleep52

ownCloud version: 5.0.12
PHP version: 5.3.9

Postby dataCore » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:38 pm

any update to this topic? I want to do something similar
dataCore

Return to ownCloud Community Edition 5.x