Windows Client - time difference error

Ask all your questions on desktop sync clients. Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
chuckleb

Windows Client - time difference error

Postby chuckleb » Fri May 25, 2012 5:06 am

I just installed the Sync client for Windows and am getting a sync error as I pair it to my cloud instance. I'm in Central time and the server that I am syncing to is in Pacific time. The error that I get is:

Syncinc Error.

The system time between the local machine and the server differs too much. Please use a time syncronization service (ntp) on both machines. Both machines are sync'd using NTP. Ideas? IS the client checking against GMT or something consistent instead of "local" time?

Thanks

circushair

Re: Windows Client - time difference error

Postby circushair » Fri May 25, 2012 7:23 pm

I am receiving the same error on two Windows 7 clients. This seems to have started after upgrading the clients to 1.0.2. My server was still running 3.0.3 so I updated to 4.0 today. Hopefully that will resolve the issue. I'll report back to let you know.

deltaxfx

Postby deltaxfx » Fri May 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Same issue here, running windows sync client 1.0.2, and ownCloud 4.0.0

lurch
Beginner

Postby lurch » Sat May 26, 2012 12:07 pm

I got this even when the time difference between the server and client was as little as 2 mins :/
I'm not a coder, but happy to help where I can.

xtof

Postby xtof » Sat May 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Same problem, version 1.0.2 on client sync (Win 7) and 4.0.0 on server (Ubuntu Server)... Anyone could help?

fastguy

Postby fastguy » Sat May 26, 2012 7:55 pm

I recommend trying again after syncing all computers with internet time servers. They can be in different timezones but their timezone settings shall be correct & there shall not be differences like 2 minutes between them. 2 minutes is pretty large window.

deltaxfx

Postby deltaxfx » Sat May 26, 2012 9:00 pm

My server is in California and I am in Afghanistan right now, so my computer with the sync client and the server are obviously in different time zones. I just checked though, and their UTC times are within 1 second of each other. And it's probably only near a second because I get around 650ms latency over satellite... So most likely the times are exact as both the server and my computer are syncing with time servers. Either the client or the server must be checking a local time vs UTC on one of the systems and throwing off otherwise accurate times.

xtof

Postby xtof » Sun May 27, 2012 2:32 pm

I finally manage to make it work by syncing my server and my client computer to the same NTP.

lukhack

Postby lukhack » Tue May 29, 2012 3:10 pm

Hello everybody,

My scenario is that:

I have one ntp server running called core.example.com

I have installed owncloud at srvcloud.example.com and have setup ntp.conf to core.example.com and my client windows 7 too and others 2 clients.

Mine is working fine but have this error this morning, checking the times between clients and servers was fine, so now i push to have date from core at two others clients getting the error message of diference between times and mine is working so i don't know why is happening this, maybe is related to TimeZone and the automatic check ?

Thanks to all.

PD: checked the TimeZones seems to be the same at all clients :(

PD2: Incredible, but in one client it works now, so it seems that it need "time" to sync ...

circushair

Postby circushair » Tue May 29, 2012 4:28 pm

I've not had the time sync error since updating my server to 4.0 but the ownCloud Sync Clients are proving to not be reliable enough for my modest needs.

They continually crash on all my devices or worse, appear to be running but do not actually sync. We've got the client running on Ubuntu 10.04 / 12.04 and Windows 7. The ownCloud server seems solid but not the clients. For now I'm going to research other methods to sync with the ownCloud server.