Windows client sync as service

Ask all your questions on desktop sync clients. Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
davidv

Windows client sync as service

Postby davidv » Tue May 29, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi,

I would be interested in using OwnCloud as my cloud storage server, so far the service works without any problems beside some complications with SSL, but nothing important.

The only one problem I'm facing is related to the windows client, it works great when you use it as desktop application, but i would need to run it as a service (or something similar to it) to make not necesary to login in some desktop computers to keep the shared folder synchronized, I haven't found the correct way to do it yet...

Setting the application as a service using SC.exe didn't work, I got my service created but no sync happend at all.

Is there any way to do this, run the application without the needing of login in the computer?

Thanks in advance.

reason

Re: Windows client sync as service

Postby reason » Wed May 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Try this one. I use it on a few computer systems and it works flawlessly. I have not tried it with the ownCloud Sync Client though.

http://nssm.cc/download/?page=download

fualex
ownCloud version: 4.5.7
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL

Postby fualex » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:48 pm

to davidv »

Hi, have you got it? Is that work for you?

gjewett
ownCloud version: 5.0.0

Postby gjewett » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Thanks for suggesting this. I had the exact same question and tried the possible NSSM solution.
The application and NSSM worked as expected, no errors

HOWEVER, I do not think it is working. I configured it first - launching it native in the GUI. I quit the app. I then started the service. Made changes to the folder - nothing synced. I stop the service and launch the GUI again and the folders sync immediately.

I looked through the registry and could find no specific entries for my configuration, and wonder if the GUI is required. We are planning on using this solution to sync a folder to our server from an outside client. I will not be logged into the server all the time, which is why the service is needed.

Thoughts? Alternative configuration?
Last edited by gjewett on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gjewett
ownCloud version: 5.0.0

Postby gjewett » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:22 pm

I figured it out!
Thank you fualex for the NSSM suggestion!

I was able to get this working. The problem that I ran into from my previous post was that I was still trying to run the service that I created using NSSM as the "Local System Account". As a result, owncloud did not have any configuration to use and thus would not run.

Setup:

1. Whether you are on a local system or a file server in a Active Directory forest or Windows domain setup is create a dedicated user in the domain or on your local accounts. This probably should be a standard user for security purposes.

2. Log into the target computer that you want to run ownCloud as a service. This will create a User profile on that computer.

3. If you have not already installed ownCloud client, do so now, and then configure it while logged into the target computer with the dedicated account. Test the sync - make sure everything is working.

4. Log out of the target computer and log in as an admin user.
Download NSSM: http://nssm.cc/download/?page=download
There is no installation necessary, please follow instructions on their site for proper usage.

5. Install the owncloud application as a service. The command I used was (your mileage may vary):
C:\nssm-2.16\win64\nssm.exe install ownCloud

It will display a dialog box, enter the following:
Application: C:\Program Files (x86)\ownCloud\owncloud.exe
Options: (blank)
Service name: ownCloud
CLICK THE "Install Service" button.
You should get the message: "Service "ownCloud" installed successfully!"

6. Go to Services (services.msc)
Locate the ownCloud service and double-click it.

Service Configuration:
General Tab, Startup Type: "Automatic (Delayed Start)" This ensures that the networking
and other system components are fully available before attempting to start ownCloud.

Stop the service (if it is running).

Log On Tab, tic the "This account:" radio button. Fill in your user account credentials. If you are using a domain or AD account, make sure to enter the domain name and username "domain\user" format.
Click Apply, it should test credentials and let you know if you entered everything right.

7. Go back to the General Tab, and start the service.

NOTE: OwnCloud will now be running as a service and should sync normally. There is NO GUI, so you can not see the status and there is no indication it is working other than the service starting with no errors. If you ever need to update or change settings, you should stop the service, login in as your dedicated owncloud service account and make the changes in the OwnCloud configuration. Then close ownCloud and start the service again.

Hope this helps! Works for me!

bpi_systems
ownCloud version: 5.0.9
PHP version: 5.3.x

Postby bpi_systems » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:08 am

Worked perfectly. Thanks for the detail setup experience!

SergioR
Webserver: IIS
PHP version: 5.3

Postby SergioR » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:28 pm

We use Logonexpert tool to autologon (and lock console session) our servers and run Owncloud client as program not as system service