Mac OS Sync client is really slow or not working

Ask all your questions on desktop sync clients. Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
rcloudown
ownCloud version: 4.5.1

Mac OS Sync client is really slow or not working

Postby rcloudown » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi guys,

Just installed ownCloud on my QNAP with php and MySQL. Everything seems to be flawless. The installation went well and the folder permissions were set properly as far as I can see.

Downloaded Mac OS sync app and its running fine now. Consuming around 100MB of memory. Its does not load my iMac too heavily in contrast to Google Drive.

So the problem is that its so slow in syncing. I can connect to ownCloud server on my 192.168.0.x server and it synced somethings, also it shows smal syncing sign. Actually it uploaded 400MB from 500GB of files already present in my ownCloud folder on iMac. There are lots of files to sync and initially I thought its indexing them of something, so I left it overnight, but in the morning I so that it did only top level folders and couple of extra megabytes. Any idea why is it so slow or not working properly at all?

In my owncloud settings I change localhost MySQL setting to 127.0.0.1 as it was advised in one of the tutorials. But still its so slow.

rcloudown
ownCloud version: 4.5.1

Re: Mac OS Sync client is really slow or not working

Postby rcloudown » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:36 pm

What are the possibilities to improve this self-hosted system? I am a bit tired of Dropbox, wouldn't want to pay for this service again. Cheers in advance.

RandolphCarter
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 8.1.1
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.5.x

Postby RandolphCarter » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:14 pm

I've seen people describing this issue (e.g. this forum thread, and maybe this), but I don't think any solution has been found yet.

I haven't tried reproducing it yet - my synced folders are not anywhere near that big at the moment.

Maybe you could report an issue at github, there you would have direct contact to the developers (they don't come here very often, if at all).

Edit: Maybe the issue #58 is related? It was reported for the windows client, but it could be something affecting the client under all OSes!

Len
Beginner
ownCloud version: 4.5.2

Postby Len » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:01 pm

I have the same problem. Only my ownCloud installation is on a Debian Sqeeuze box with MySQL backend.
Performance can be called good, maybe even excellent, for the web-interface but the performance of desktop client for OSX is just ridiculous.

I'm trying to sync a folder with just over 5GB of data, which seems to take forever. The sync is already busy for over a week (of which two days non-stop syncing). Just now it was finally done (actually, it wasn't since the folder size told me it was missing over a gig), but then the ownCloud sync instance crashed. After restarting the instance all contents were gone and syncing is starting from the start.

It seems the syncing client just cannot cope with large folders, since smaller folders (e.g. 25MB) sync just fine. For now I'll just sync into smaller folders of which I'm working from. Hope this will be resolved quickly, cause I really like ownCloud a lot!
Sync client: 1.1.1 (Mac)
Server: Apache2
MySQL: 5.1.63-0
PHP: 5.3.3-7

madmaxmarchhare
ownCloud version: 4.5.2

Postby madmaxmarchhare » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:24 am

I have the same problem with both OSX and Windows clients. Web speeds are fine, but client speeds are horrifically slow. I hope there's some sort of solution to this.

carrot
ownCloud version: 4.5.3

Postby carrot » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:22 am

madmaxmarchhare wrote:I have the same problem with both OSX and Windows clients. Web speeds are fine, but client speeds are horrifically slow. I hope there's some sort of solution to this.

Well.. I took a capture and the sync client does "file by file". A lengthy process. single-threaded I assume. Takes about 3 seconds on my server to upload/verify/whatever for a 512KB file. You don't get benefit from getting on a local LAN or being remote.

When you have a lot of pictures (I'm trying to store about 43,000 pictures) the network is more idle than busy when synchronizing. Now sure if related to a slow WebDAV client.