Bye forums

Talk, ideas, changes, critics ... everything Forum related topics
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 7.0.x

Bye forums

Postby RealRancor » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:52 am

Hi,

i'm skipping giving support at this forums mainly because of the reasons posted by a developer here:

Because the questions there are often:

1. Unspecific
2. Without details
3. Often easily solvable by googling or just reading the documentation
4. Containing error messages in Chinese (I can’t read Chinese and I don’t want to waste my time translating error messages which are likely user errors)

This is why I’m not really active in the forum. There are just way to many people there that do not even understand the difference between a mail and a web server. Not beginning to speak of people who try to install oC on their 1$ “unlimited” webhoster package…

http://owncloud.10557.n7.nabble.com/own ... 12832.html

Also so many users in here are not reading the Forum / Support Forum rules and also don't care about the high effort we have put into the FAQ forums.

So i would like to say bye to everyone and thanks to all which are still trying to give support.
*gone*

bennysoft
Beginner
ownCloud version: 7.0.2
Webserver: Apache
PHP version: 5.5

Re: Bye forums

Postby bennysoft » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:23 pm

I do understand your decision. It's disappointing to be a mod of a forum that developers describe as „a platform for rants and trolls“.

Thank you for helping out!

rakekniven
Inventory
ownCloud version: 9.0.1
PHP version: 5.6.x

Postby rakekniven » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:11 pm

Hi Rancor,

thanks for your ongoing support. Many, many people appreciate it! Have a good time and have fun with your ownCloud :-)

Let's see how forum develops without you. Everything is possible ;)

Cheers Mate,
Mark
ownCloud is not only about files. There is so much more. Explore the apps to extend your ownCloud.

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3

Postby tflidd » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:35 pm

Thanks Rancor for your contribution. There are really a lot of topics with valuable information which are not covered by the official documentation.
A lot of users start with Linux because of owncloud. Maybe we can establish a kind of sub-forum for general linux questions where beginners can exchange their problems and solutions. Or a way to tag posts "more information needed" or "google yourself", each tag is referred to one of the topics where to find logfiles etc.

rakekniven
Inventory

Postby rakekniven » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:07 pm

@tflidd Are you familiar with phpBB? Do you know details of tagging with it?
ownCloud is not only about files. There is so much more. Explore the apps to extend your ownCloud.

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3

Postby tflidd » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:04 pm

No, I'm not familiar with phpBB and possible extensions. I only thought of github where it can be very useful to find topics.
Maybe templates can help to have more meaningful problem descriptions (I haven't looked myself if there were already measures discussed in the past :D).

RealRancor
ownCloud master

Postby RealRancor » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:28 am

Hi,

ok tried again to give some support and to see if something has changed in the meantime but its still the same in here since two months ago.

Final greetings to everyone still trying to give some support in here before i'm blocking my account. Maybe we will read us at the github bugtracker or the IRC channel.
*gone*

Dawidosza
ownCloud version: 4.0.8

Postby Dawidosza » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:27 pm

Maybe we can establish a kind of sub-forum for general linux questions where beginners can exchange their problems and solutions.

rakekniven
Inventory

Postby rakekniven » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:55 pm

..... wrote:Hi,

ok tried again to give some support and to see if something has changed in the meantime but its still the same in here since two months ago.

Final greetings to everyone still trying to give some support in here before i'm blocking my account. Maybe we will read us at the github bugtracker or the IRC channel.

Hello,

you wrote such a lot in here. Thx for that!
Why did you change you username?
You are the ownCloud master, so no need to get anonymous :-)

RealRancor
ownCloud master

Postby RealRancor » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:55 pm

Ok, a new year have started and i have decided to make a break from the forums again.

ownCloud is now in a state where most stuff is running smoothly and now most questions in this forums here are either repeated / asked many times again or not related to ownCloud itself but more for basic knowledge about webservers and stuff. Such questions can be answered easily by users which are trying to get familiar with oC.

I wish all people the best, maybe we're reading us at github or IRC.
*gone*