New forum for general topics

Talk, ideas, changes, critics ... everything Forum related topics
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
rakekniven
Inventory
ownCloud version: 9.0.1
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.6.x

New forum for general topics

Postby rakekniven » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:01 pm

We have topics about using ownCloud in a commercial, about hosting, about surveys ... all of them do not fit into existing forums.

What do you about a forum "Around ownCloud"?

For sure we can talk about the name ;)

Cheers
ownCloud is not only about files. There is so much more. Explore the apps to extend your ownCloud.

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3

Re: New forum for general topics

Postby tflidd » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:18 pm

You mean more general questions not related to a specific OC version, and that don't fit into the FAQ-section?

We should clearly separate this new forum from others. The FAQ/tutorial section is already overlapping a lot (how to move data folder? is clearly a FAQ but how to do it, is more a tutorial ;-))

With hosting you mean for example which providers allow owncloud on their shared hosting?

rakekniven
Inventory

Postby rakekniven » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:23 pm

tflidd wrote:You mean more general questions not related to a specific OC version, and that don't fit into the FAQ-section?

Yes, exactly my thoughts.

tflidd wrote:We should clearly separate this new forum from others. The FAQ/tutorial section is already overlapping a lot (how to move data folder? is clearly a FAQ but how to do it, is more a tutorial ;-))

The last days I tried to clean them a little and moved some topics to appropriate subforums.
I was thinking about merging both forums, but it is not that easy.
Before opening that forum we should work on the "red box" for sure.

tflidd wrote:With hosting you mean for example which providers allow owncloud on their shared hosting?

Discussions about hosting, complains topics about hosters ...
ownCloud is not only about files. There is so much more. Explore the apps to extend your ownCloud.

tflidd
Forum Moderator

Postby tflidd » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:33 pm

tflidd wrote:With hosting you mean for example which providers allow owncloud on their shared hosting?

Discussions about hosting, complains topics about hosters ...[/quote]
More like sharing experience about providers/environments/....? Could also fit in the FAQ section (to some extent).

rakekniven
Inventory

Postby rakekniven » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:44 pm

Some FAQ entries and tutorials are obselete now. The docs at owncloud.org getting better and better e.g. https://doc.owncloud.org/server/7.0/adm ... nance.html

We could link to official docs and mark our topics as deprecated.

tflidd
Forum Moderator

Postby tflidd » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:05 pm

Speaking of new forums, what do you think of making the development process more visible? For example, already provide a new subforum for 8.1 when the beta release is available. I know that upgrade issues should be discussed on github but between testing and real bugs there are a lot of things to discuss. And with positive feedback it is easier than github. We could provide some information on how you can test, what to test and so on.

I mean, the questions pop up anyway and I prefer them to pop up on some beta version when people are aware of it.

rakekniven
Inventory

Postby rakekniven » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:16 pm

IMHO we miss man power to offer help for pre releases. But we can try it.
Where would you place such forum for 8.1 in our hierarchy? Next to "ownCloud Community Edition 8.x"? Or making subforums for 8.0 and 8.1 and ... there?

tflidd wrote:I mean, the questions pop up anyway and I prefer them to pop up on some beta version when people are aware of it.
People should report to github to make devs aware. As you know devs are not around here very often. As soon as you offer a forum questions are here and stay here. But as written above we can try it.

My time will be very limited starting monday until June.

tflidd
Forum Moderator

Postby tflidd » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:09 pm

I see your point with manpower. We will also risk to have a lot of questions that have little to do with owncloud itself. You could probably place some testing-howtos in the tutorial section. But then it's a bit hidden and only for "geeks". There are a lot of people curious of the new owncloud version - as I am too - but instead of putting it on their real system they can properly test it and get a look&feel.

For the structure, we will have this question as well with OC 8.1 itself. Maybe putting it under the 8.x branch and let it become the future 8.1 forum. With 8.2 we merge it into the general 8.x?

Code: Select all

- oc 8.x
 |_oc 8.1 testing

- oc 8.x
 |_oc 8.1
 |_oc 8.2 testing

- oc 8.x
 |_oc 8.2

Or we place it on top of OC 8.x and merge it into 8.x when it becomes stable.

On the other hand, are there some users interested in testing?

rakekniven
Inventory

Postby rakekniven » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:23 pm

Are you following devel mailinglist? If not please see https://mailman.owncloud.org/pipermail/ ... 01091.html

Every three month we are going to have a release. Not sure if that many subforums will help us :?:

tflidd wrote:On the other hand, are there some users interested in testing?

Please see https://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo
Testing-team is dead since 2013 and testpilots is quiet as well.
My answer would be that we do not have enough testers. And on the other hand if we would have testers you would need some mentors to find out if test results should result in github issues or not.

tflidd
Forum Moderator

Postby tflidd » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:08 pm

I have seen the testing list but was too shy for subscription ;-) It's too compulsory in my opinion. For most community members, they are willing to test if they have some time and want to check out the new version (at least I'm doing it like this).
Bugs should go into github. But we need some information from the developers, especially what testing scenarios are most interesting. For example, the current OC 8.0 I wasn't aware that the encryption keys are rewritten but especially this would have been worth testing. What to do with positive feedback? A forum topic, or one could as well create testing scenarios on github and people doing thumb-up if it is ok, providing their environment.

For stable versions, you are already mentoring people. I really don't know what's the best way but the release of OC 8.0 has shown that we could need a little bit more testing.