Forum search engine problem

Talk, ideas, changes, critics ... everything Forum related topics
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
quenenni
Beginner
ownCloud version: 4.5.6

Forum search engine problem

Postby quenenni » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:56 pm

Hello,

It seems the forum search engine is not working as expected.

I searched with the terms:
occ user:add
+occ +user +add
+occ +user +add -occurred
(with another other option: Search in forum owncloud Server 8.x)

And in every search results (+- 200.. I'm sure that's too much), I checked some and often they don't even have the term occ or add anywhere in the post.

If you put just the term 'occ' or 'add' in the simple search box (top right), you have 0 results (a search in every forums).
Both times it's definitively wrong as you can find posts via a google search.

rakekniven
Inventory
ownCloud version: 9.0.1
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.6.x

Re: Forum search engine problem

Postby rakekniven » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:02 pm

Forum search is not as good as known big players bing and google.
You can use https://www.google.de/#q=site:forum.owncloud.org for searching our forums using google.
ownCloud is not only about files. There is so much more. Explore the apps to extend your ownCloud.

quenenni
Beginner

Postby quenenni » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:23 pm

I know and I use them when that kind of problems occurs.
But If I can avoid those big Co, I'll gladly do it.

If you already knew about the search problem and aren't interested in fixing it, maybe you can remove the feature from the forum and put a link instead that open a page to https://www.google.be/#q=site:forum.owncloud.org

I'm sure lots of people are still using it, and it's bad for you mainly if they can't find the posts that are talking about their problem.
That, I'm sure, costs badly spent time to those who have to respond an already answered question.

rakekniven
Inventory

Postby rakekniven » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:34 pm

We use phpBB as our forum engine. That software comes at it is.

We do not have many complains about the search. See our "forum" forum about such topics.

quenenni wrote:If you already knew about the search problem and aren't interested in fixing it

Come on. The small crew spends so many our of their leisure time to help users and improving forum. We are interested :!:
ownCloud is not only about files. There is so much more. Explore the apps to extend your ownCloud.

quenenni
Beginner

Postby quenenni » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:06 pm

I wasn't attacking you, neither attacking the fact you're using this forum.

I know that lots of people in that kind of project spend lots of times to answer questions, and some of them are asked for the tenth time.

You won't have lots of complains from users because they use the search engine and have results... bad results.. but results nonetheless. They won't see a post talking about their problem so they will create a new one.

Even those who use google or bing or .. to do a search will arrive on this forum in a post. Then some will use the internal search engine for further search.

So you are a small crew with already full agendas, I explained a way to easily reclaim some time and for some users to be happier because they'll find directly the right post, and all you're saying, with a nice touch of cynicism, that you are not interested because you don't have the time because you have to answer lots of questions.. I like your logic.

When I said "If you already knew about the search problem and aren't interested in fixing it", it was simply because I don't know what's your plan for that.
I don't care if you choose one way or the other, I just offered you an easy alternative in case, as I suspected, you don't have the energy or time or both to fix it.

Sorry if I was misinterpreted.

rakekniven
Inventory

Postby rakekniven » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:18 pm

Hey, everything's ok. Didn't get you wrong. Sometimes cynicism helps me ;)

Just rebuild full search index, but search result on your search are still bad. Have to move search task up on list by priority.