Discussion to replace forums

Talk, ideas, changes, critics ... everything Forum related topics
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 7.0.x

Discussion to replace forums

Postby RealRancor » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:58 pm

Hi,

last year a discussion was done if the forums should be replaced by a "more modern" solution:

http://owncloud.10557.n7.nabble.com/own ... 12828.html

This ended without a conclusion. Today the same discussion was coming up at the IRC channel so also posting some points in here as a base for further discussions:

The main problem with the forums is that the same questions are asked over and over again. This could be avoided by using a similar platform like stackoverflow or ask.fedoraproject.org.

Some ideas and more informations are currently collected at:

https://github.com/owncloud/core/wiki/F ... placements

Anyone is invited to join the discussion.
*gone*

rakekniven
Inventory
ownCloud version: 9.0.1
Webserver: Apache
PHP version: 5.6.x

Re: Discussion to replace forums

Postby rakekniven » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:07 pm

Where to discuss? Here, on IRC or somewhere else?

Wikipage is not a discussion IMHO.
ask.fedoraproject.org is not on the wiki page. Should we add it?
@tflidd: Did you get it a try already?

Why adding another forum software like wotlab?
ownCloud is not only about files. There is so much more. Explore the apps to extend your ownCloud.

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 7.0.x

Postby RealRancor » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:39 am

Hi,

i think either here or at the users mailinglist. Why WBB was added by a user is a good question. Switching to this one makes no sense to me.

Will add askbot later which is used by ask.fedoraproject.org
*gone*

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3

Postby tflidd » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:21 am

I did manage to install my own askbot. Unfortunately, the installation was a bit complicated (a lot of dependencies that are not properly resolved), I'm wondering why people are complaining about owncloud :D I need to setup a proxy to this installation, then I can give you (@forum-moderators) logins. That way, we can get a hands-on experience.

If we do a test session all at the same time, we could interact via IRC. It's perhaps more efficient as if everyone starts to check the same 5 basic steps in this software. The discussion about the solution should be in some place where someone can catch up the discussion like the forum or mailinglist.

AnrDaemon
Beginner
PHP version: 5.5

Postby AnrDaemon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Judging from your GitHub link, you don't need forum at all.
Barring reasons like "responsive design", which has nothing to do with forum engine itself, you need something entirely different. A platform like stackexchange, perhaps. (Ask the guys, by the way? Given the popularity of your project, it may be well worth it to create your own stackexchange site.)

brucewagner

Postby brucewagner » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:50 am

Just an FYI.... I run about 138 live chat groups on Telegram. We now have one for ownCloud. Feel free to join us at http://bw.gl/218

We also have groups about topics such as Dropbox, OneDrive, Linux, MultCloud, and just about every other topic you can think of.

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3

Postby tflidd » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:08 am

Askbot is interesting. It is possible to set some preferred Questions&Answers (like the FAQ we already have). Messages can't be put in specific folders, everything has to be tagged. Duplicates will hopefully be reduced and the whole is more inviting to ask good questions (and giving good answers).

Unfortunately, logins via github are not possible at the moment: http://askbot.org/en/question/13272/git ... ntication/

Owncloud's philosophy is to control your own data, a closed-source platform like StackExchange isn't a good fit here.

I didn't have a closer look at discourse, it seems to be very modern forum software. But it's "just" another forum and we won't get in this strict question/answer-mode and I doubt that this will help to reduce the number of duplicates. It's not sure either if we succeed with askbot.

In the past, we had some nice tutorials from user for other users (how to install owncloud on raspberry..NAS-BOX...). In other forums, we could keep such a section, in askbot we could tag tutorials. We could put such things into a wiki...

vascowhite
ownCloud version: 8.1.3
PHP version: 5.6

Postby vascowhite » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:50 pm

With reference to the suggestion of using stackoverflow:-

In general, most of the questions asked in these forums would be off topic for stackoverflow.

From the list of off topic questions on the linked page:-

• Questions about general computing hardware and software are off-topic for Stack Overflow unless they directly involve tools used primarily for programming.
  • Questions on professional server, networking, or related infrastructure administration are off-topic for Stack Overflow unless they directly involve programming or programming tools.

Most of the questions under the owncloud tag are off topic. Questions regarding programming problems encountered during app development would be on topic, but questions regarding setting up or using owncloud are definitely not.

AnrDaemon
Beginner

Postby AnrDaemon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:21 pm

vascowhite wrote:With reference to the suggestion of using stackoverflow:-

In general, most of the questions asked in these forums would be off topic for stackoverflow.

You're missing the point. The question was to create a stackexchange site entirely dedicated to owncloud.
Like the askubuntu one given in the example above.

jospoortvliet
Starter
ownCloud version: 6.0.2

Postby jospoortvliet » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:26 pm

I would personally go for askbot - it has a great UI for asking and answering questions with a focus on looking for existing answers, which gets rid of the huge amount of duplicate questions. Imho, discuss is nice but it is exactly that which it doesn't do: get rid of duplicate questions.

If you guys also like askbot, I think I can ask sysadmin to set one up for ownCloud on ask.owncloud.org or so for the first month next year (this year seems a little short...). We can then either add some questions/answers there myself or start asking people to put their questions there and fill it up a bit. Once it has some content, we announce it and replace all the links from forum to there. We can keep the forum around for conversations and stuff, no reason to kill it right away... But use askbot for questions and answers.

What do you think?