Easy Tune-up for ownCloud

Ask all your questions regarding OC 5.x Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
ownCloud 5.x reached end of life and is officially unsupported. For details see Wiki page.

Please upgrade your ownCloud.
AnakiMana
Beginner
ownCloud version: 8.0.2
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.5.9

Easy Tune-up for ownCloud

Postby AnakiMana » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:51 am

I wanted to start an entire thread devoted to speeding up OwnCloud.

Initially, I had to wait between 11 and 13 seconds for each page to load while navigating OwnCloud -- I thought it should be MUCH faster considering I'm testing on the host machine, where there shouldn't be any lag. It's a brand new, clean, Windows Server 2012 XEON E5-2630 12-core beast with 16GB RAM, Seagate Constellation ES.3 drives (nearly 300 MB/sec according to HDtune) - a very fast and somewhat expensive setup.

I found this other thread "How to improve slow OC performance on IIS 6/7" which suggests editing \owncloud\config\config.php and replacing the value "localhost" under 'dbhost' with "127.0.0.1".

This change alone made OwnCloud 3-7x faster and I can browse the web interface with only a 2-4 second delay between pages! :o Ahhh, much better! :D

I'm FAR from an expert on performance tuning these types of things. Does anyone else have any tune-up tips? Please post them here!

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 7.0.x

Re: Easy Tune-up for ownCloud

Postby RealRancor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:25 am

Hi,

there are also some PHP cacher like XCache, eAccelerator or APC which could speed up your installation.
*gone*

AnakiMana
Beginner
ownCloud version: 8.0.2
PHP version: 5.5.9

Postby AnakiMana » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:16 pm

I tried APC (downloadable here: http://www.mediafire.com/php-win64-exte ... ansbee0tme), but it caused every page in OwnCloud to display incorrectly. It was completely unusable. There's another post here with pictures that are exactly what I was experiencing (see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4173&p=21867&hilit=rendered#p20013) and no solution seems to exist. So I just disabled APC again. I may try one of the other accelerators later.

LennyX
Beginner

Postby LennyX » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Probably depends on the installation. For my case php-fpm (with Archlinux, nginx, MySQL) was a no-brainer installation and gave a noticeable boost when displaying pages (it takes some time, however, to build the cache, the first access on some pages takes longer than before).

siyman
ownCloud version: 6.0.0a
PHP version: 5.3x

Postby siyman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Thank you for this post, it boosted my owncloud installation back to a usable level. I activated php-apc as well as edited the localhost entry. Awesome!

paul.lindsey
Beginner
ownCloud version: 5.0.14a

Postby paul.lindsey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm

the only advice i can give to speed it up would be to move to linux, we run a predominately windows domain and naturally when we first started with owncloud i setup a 2012 server, we had similar issues with slowness and also with windws not being able to handle long file names, after allot of hours spent trying to workj out issues and installing caching proxies to speed up owncloud, we bit the bullet and moved to ubuntu, since then we have had virtually no issues, the speed of our site was noticeably quicker, the setup can be a pain, especially if like me you have no previous experience of linux, but with plenty of tutorials you can easily have a fully working server up and running in a couple of days, SSL certificates can also be a nightmare but again Google is your friend as some one has always had a similar issue, so plenty of info to draw on.

Return to “ownCloud Community Edition 5.x and older”