Wish: Import from Google

Ask all your questions regarding OC 5.x Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
ownCloud 5.x reached end of life and is officially unsupported. For details see Wiki page.

Please upgrade your ownCloud.
Oriolan
Beginner
ownCloud version: 8.0.0
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.4.36

Wish: Import from Google

Postby Oriolan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:45 pm

I'm rather new to using OwnCloud running 5.0.5 now and while I have no bugs under my nose to complain about and I want to thank the devs for all the work and ideas they have put into this I miss an easy, convenient migration path from Google (contacts, calendar, tasks)
What I was looking for when I came to owncloud was an alternative to giving all those personal data into the hands of the behemoth and still keep my desktop, laptop, smartphone synced. I don't think I'm alone with this motivation. However, I already have them there and I put some work into their present form.
Contacts have photos and are tagged into groups, I can use this to build and maintain email distribution lists that I can use with thunderbird.
OC contacts supports groups now, I can set a picture (an there is a nice interface to select the part of the pic I want to use - it's almost there. But as far as I can see the only way to get all that from Google to OC is to manually recreate it. Yes, I can export the contacts from google into a vcard file and import this to OC, but I loose the pics and the tagging.
I tried to do it manually but it is cumbersome. The image field in oc contacts does not support dragging a pic onto it. The option to use pics from the oc file area only works for images on the root since the folders are not selectable. And repeating the sequence of necessary steps for hundreds of contacts is seriously no fun.

I know there is a gsync 3rd party app - but it doesn't work with oc5. And this is such a basic need, Import and sync from/to Google should be build in.

fikus1234
Beginner
ownCloud version: 5.0.5
PHP version: 5

Re: Wish: Import from Google

Postby fikus1234 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:49 am

Yes, I fully agree.
Google Sync - calendar, contacts is a very important task.
Is anybody working on that issue? Or is it already implemented for OC 5.0.5 (5.0.6)?
I'm new to OC, I'm studying the code and would like to help in a future.
L.

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 7.0.x

Postby RealRancor » Wed May 15, 2013 7:16 am

Hi,

at least calendars can be exported from google as an .ics file. Then upload this file to your OC and double click on it to import it into your OC. Probably something like this works with Contacts and Vcards.

If you need another import way feature requests like this should go to:

https://github.com/owncloud/calendar/issues
https://github.com/owncloud/contacts/issues

Maybe a dev will pick this up.
*gone*

fikus1234
Beginner
ownCloud version: 5.0.5
PHP version: 5

Postby fikus1234 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Thank You,
Import to calendar and contacts work. This is rather about synchronization in time.
I will post it to dev group.
L.