webdav extreamly slow

Ask all your questions regarding OC 5.x Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
ownCloud 5.x reached end of life and is officially unsupported. For details see Wiki page.

Please upgrade your ownCloud.
curtis-bob
Beginner
ownCloud version: 6.0.2
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.5.3

webdav extreamly slow

Postby curtis-bob » Wed May 15, 2013 1:53 am

ok.. so i am sure there is probably a listing for this and I just can't find it, but if you guys know of a link to it just past it here and i will go to that.

the problem i am having is my webdav transfer speeds are insanely slow. when i upload files to my server it may go 400k but usually runs around 100-200k.

so.. i was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem.

curtis-bob
Beginner

Re: webdav extreamly slow

Postby curtis-bob » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:42 am

So no one has any thoughts on this???

srfreeman
ownCloud professional
ownCloud version: 6.0.4
PHP version: 5.3.10

Postby srfreeman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Hello curtis-bob,

Since you believe that some answer from here will be more advantageous than those already provided elsewhere, I will pop in here.

Nearly everyone feels that their transfer speeds are "insanely slow" for this and nearly any other application discussed. Discussions are available all over the Internet.

In general, transfer speed is a direct function of network engineering and server administration. If you consider yours to be a problem, these would be the departments to check with.

Personally, I have production ownCloud installation on a 10GbE / InfiniBand network that can register 2+ GBps and a test ownCloud installation that is dependent upon public Internet bandwidth that registers several hundred KBps. Both installations do just what they are required to do.
Last edited by srfreeman on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curtis-bob
Beginner

Postby curtis-bob » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:06 am

Hell srfreeman,

Since you are quick to judge one person on the lack of experience and knowledge one has about internet/network speeds, without asking questions first. I won't bore you with my knowledge or what I do as a job..

I did not realize that one must have a "10GbE / InfiniBand network that can register 2+ GBps " to be able to get the speeds in WebDAV that I do have with my owncloud CLIENT synchronizer...

now I do belive that an internet connection with a 20M up and a 40M down would be enough to get upload and download speeds a little greater than 400k...

So... my little brain may deduce that since my owncloud client is running at HIGH speeds and my WebDAV is running at really SLOW speeds.. that it may just be a setting in the server that I am unaware of...

thank you for your sarcastic response. I did not ask in a mean manner and I did not ask for the response that you gave me.. I DID however expect a response that someone would include a question that may try to get the info of my system setup. Maybe a question or two about what my setup was, maybe my type of server, MAYBE my connection speeds.

you may be really knowledgeable... but please don't assume.. you know what assuming does... nvm.

thank you

jakethecatuk
Helpful Elf
ownCloud version: 5.0.10

Postby jakethecatuk » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:20 am

Performance of OwnCloud is directly linked to the underlying technology supporting it.

My OwnCloud installation sits on a dedicated Ubuntu virtual machine with 2vCPU's and 4gb RAM. All files are stored on an SMB share mounted at the OS level. My network connection is 40mb down and 10mb up. When uploading files to my OwnCloud service, I max out my internet connection. Similarly, when I am downloading files from my OwnCloud service, I max out my internet connection. I haven't done any major tweaking to get this - it's pretty much out of the tin.

Pop into the tutorials forum and check out the performance tuning thread. Once you've done that, its now time to go through a process of elimination. To work out where your bottleneck is.

I'll give you a starter for 10 - have you stripped back your test environment to it's most basic form and run some tests on the local LAN?

srfreeman
ownCloud professional
ownCloud version: 6.0.4
PHP version: 5.3.10

Postby srfreeman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:42 pm

Hello curtis-bob,

I hope you did not interpret my simple typo in the greeting as sarcasm, I have edited it.

No assumptions were made at all. I considered that if you wanted anyone to know about your system or connections, you would have told us. Though none of this information is helpful in troubleshooting performance issues anyway.

I just mentioned my installations as an example to show acceptable performance is available from an ownCloud installation. No, you will never achieve 2+GBps transfer speeds over just a 40/10Mbps connection, but, proper configuration of your network, web server, database server, database and PHP would certainly provide better than your noted performance.

curtis-bob
Beginner

Postby curtis-bob » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:52 pm

I am sorry for my quick reaction. And for my sarcastic response.. I never even considered the typo.. I apologize.

mike-it
ownCloud version: 6.0.1

Postby mike-it » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:27 am

It could be Windows 7 Problem.

Fix Slow WebDAV Performance in Windows 7
1. In Internet Explorer, open the Tools menu, then click Internet Options.
2. Select the Connections tab.
3. Click the LAN Settings button.
4. Uncheck the “Automatically detect settings” box.
5. Click OK until you’re out of dialog.