Windows Phone 8: Solution how to Sync Calendar and Contacts

Ask all your questions on mobile clients. Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
phue77

Windows Phone 8: Solution how to Sync Calendar and Contacts

Postby phue77 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi all,

Today is a great day. I have found a native way how to sync calendar and contacts directly with Windows Phone 8 (you only need the GDR2-Update):

1) Add a Google account in WP8 Settings. Choose an invalid E-Mail and a Password.
2) Switch off your phone and restart the device
3) Edit the Settings of your new Google account
4) Give a valid Name of your account
5) Switch off sending E-Mail function
6) Activate Contacts and Calendar
7) In Carddav-Field:

Code: Select all

SERVERADDRESS:443/remote.php/carddav/addressbooks/YOURLOGIN/contacts
8) In Caldav-Feld:

SERVERADDRESS:443/remote.php/caldav/calendars/YOURLOGIN/defaultcalendar

If you are signing your SSL certificate by yourself you have to install this self signed certificate on your Windows Phone 8:

openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 365 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout private.key -out certificate.pem
openssl x509 -outform der -in certificate.pem -out certificate.cer

The certificate.cer has to be imported, for example by Internet Explorer or by E-Mail as Attachement. Open it on Windows Phone an then install the certificate (after Installation the device has to be restarted).

Calendar-Syncronisation works fine. The contacts will not be added from Windows Phone 8 => Owncloud. I hope this will be fixed by next release from Owncloud...?
(Note for contact synchronization problems: This issue is solved since Version 6.0.0a)

You find on my blog a detailed instruction (with screenshots) how to configure Windows Phone 8 for Owncloud.

Yeah, am I the first...? :)

Greetings,
Peter
Last edited by phue77 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hulluperuna

Re: Windows Phone 8: Solution how to Sync Calendar and Conta

Postby hulluperuna » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi

I followed you step by step guide several times every time I try to sync the contacts or calendar I get an Error Code 80072EFD. It tells me that there was a problem connecting with the owncloud server.
When I try to open the same link I have add in the browser on the device it shows me a login screen. When I enter the credentials I can log in.

So the devcie seems to be able to reach the server and the credentials are correct.
What else could be an issue?

I am setting up the sync only in the local network so my link is:

http://192.168.10.47/owncloud/remote.ph ... E/contacts

Thanks HP

phue77

Postby phue77 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi HP,

80072EFD means that Windows Phone can not establish a connection to live Server. Which makes no sense in our case.

However, probably wants your Windows Phone establish a connection through cellular phone network. This could be the reason why internal IP number is not reacheable. Try to deactivate cellular network and force WIFI Connection.

best regards,
Peter

bvlidk
ownCloud version: 5.0.12
Webserver: nginx

Postby bvlidk » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:31 am

Hello there!

Thank you very much for this how to! It just works without any problem, after importing the self signed certificate.

And as a bonus - I also added my imap mail account. It works without any problem also.

/B :)

th80de
Webserver: Apache
Database: SQLite
PHP version: 5.5.3

Postby th80de » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:49 pm

Hmm. I have the same error as hulluperuna. Also restarted the phone. Could it has something to do with the certificate? How can I check if it is installed proberly?

Edit:
I forgot to open port 443. So the error above is fixed.
BUT, now I have error 80072F0D, which seems to be a result of a mis-configured cert. What did you enter on creating the pem-file? Do I need to follow some specific rules on that?

bvlidk
Webserver: nginx

Postby bvlidk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:17 pm

th80de wrote:BUT, now I have error 80072F0D, which seems to be a result of a mis-configured cert. What did you enter on creating the pem-file? Do I need to follow some specific rules on that?

I had the same error. I extracted the certificate using:

openssl s_client -connect localhost:443

on the machine running owncloud - then copied the key (incl. -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- and -----END CERTIFICATE-----) into a file using a text editor, saved the file as "mycert.pem", and attached it to a mail to my self. Then opened the mail on the phone, opened the attachment and imported the certificate.

Note - it's important that you restart the phone _after_ you imported the certificate.

Anyway - today I signed up at http://startssl.com - they issues free personal ssl-certificates. It's almost as easy as create a self-signed certificate, and totally free.

Hope you get it to work.

th80de
Database: SQLite
PHP version: 5.5.3

Postby th80de » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:55 am

Thanks. I "fixed" it by using the ssl-certificate files that came with my xampp installation instead of generating new ones with the commands from first post.

Now there is a problem with time zones for appointments created on the windows phone device after synced to owncloud (Workaround: using utc on server). But that's a different story :-D

bubblegum
Database: MySQL

Postby bubblegum » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:17 am

Maybe I am too silly for that job. I followed the instructions step by step. But it ends every time with the error 80072F0D. I tried to create a certificate with the 2 lines for the console. I also tried to create it with "openssl s_create ..". Every time i followed exactly the instructions.

I am using a hosting server with SSH access. Owncloud is running at a subdomain. The domain is not SSL ready. What is going wrong? Does somebody has a hint for me?

xaloy
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.4

Postby xaloy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:02 pm

Bei mir hat es ohne Probleme geklappt.
schaut das der Server auch das richtige Zertifikat hat.
ich musste eine pem Datei auf meinem phone installeren.
ging nur per email Anhang
htc x8

Westfale

Postby Westfale » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Hello,

I have the same problem as hulluperuna, and I also only want to synch at home.

Has someone solved this already?

Best regards,
Martin