[SOLVED] WebDAV interface seems to be broken

Ask all your questions regarding OC 6.x Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
ownCloud 6.x reached end of life and is officially unsupported. For details see Wiki page.

Please upgrade your ownCloud.
kyij1
ownCloud version: 6.0.2
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL

[SOLVED] WebDAV interface seems to be broken

Postby kyij1 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:47 am

I have installed owncloud several times before, so this is not the first time for me..

Although during this installation, I get "Your web server is not yet properly setup to allow files synchronization because the WebDAV interface seems to be broken."
--I have tried to reinstall already, but that did not help.
--As I see it is a cert issue, was it caused by following "http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/639 … entry71555"? I believed I have self-signed certificates using the method in the past and never had an issue, although now I am.

When I went to the owncloud installation file, it then gives me another error "Can't create data directory (/mnt/Raidz2/owncloud/)

This can usually be fixed by giving the webserver write access to the root directory."
--This is the directory I am using (and set during install) for the data. When I goto this page, I do not see other error anymore, only when it ran the postcheck.

who/group should own the data folder? And what should I set the chmod to? Before I reinstalled, I was having similar issues, but tried just about every chown/chmod combination I could think of..
Last edited by kyij1 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

RandolphCarter
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 8.1.1
PHP version: 5.5.x

Re: WebDAV interface seems to be broken

Postby RandolphCarter » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:43 pm

"Your web server is not yet properly setup to allow files synchronization because the WebDAV interface seems to be broken."

Check the owncloud log. It should contain additional information why the check for WebDAV is exactly failing.

who/group should own the data folder? And what should I set the chmod to?

The user which runs php scripts on your system. This depends on the distribution; for Ubuntu that would for example be www-data. See the manual installation documentation for a bit more details.

kyij1
ownCloud version: 6.0.2

Re: WebDAV interface seems to be broken

Postby kyij1 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:14 am

RandolphCarter wrote:
"Your web server is not yet properly setup to allow files synchronization because the WebDAV interface seems to be broken."

Check the owncloud log. It should contain additional information why the check for WebDAV is exactly failing.

who/group should own the data folder? And what should I set the chmod to?

The user which runs php scripts on your system. This depends on the distribution; for Ubuntu that would for example be www-data. See the manual installation documentation for a bit more details.

I already saw those posts before..

But anyhow it was a permissions file (obviously) but it was a parent directory.. /mnt/Raidz2 was chmod'ed 770 but my owncloud data (that I tried to set to 775 was under /mnt/Raidz2/owncloud

That may seem obvious when I say it, but it tripped me up for a few days. Hopefully someone else can benefit.

mophilly
ownCloud version: 5.0.12
PHP version: 5.3.3

Re: [SOLVED] WebDAV interface seems to be broken

Postby mophilly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:23 am

It is tripping me up. I would be most grateful for a restatement of the required file permissions.

Here is what I have on CentOS 5:

Code: Select all

750 www:www ownCloud (web directory)
770 www:www   data

But should that be like this?

Code: Select all

750 www:www ownCloud (web directory)
775 www:www   data

Should the files and folder within the data folder also be set to 775?

TIA.

RandolphCarter
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 8.1.1
PHP version: 5.5.x

Re: [SOLVED] WebDAV interface seems to be broken

Postby RandolphCarter » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:57 am

Doesn't really matter whether it's 777 or 775 or even 700 - as long as the files belong to the user running php, and that user has read, write (and execute for directories) permissions, it's fine.
Are you still having any specific issues here, or why are you worried?

Please also note that on CentOS, by default SELinux is enabled which can also interfere permission-wise. So if getting "permission denied" or similar messages, it could also be a problem with that.

As for the data directory - yes, all files and folders in that folder need to belong to the www user and have the 7xx permission as well.

Return to “ownCloud Community Edition 6.x”