firefox 29 no longer sync to owncloud

Ask all your questions regarding OC 6.x Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
ownCloud 6.x reached end of life and is officially unsupported. For details see Wiki page.

Please upgrade your ownCloud.
alcanjp

firefox 29 no longer sync to owncloud

Postby alcanjp » Thu May 01, 2014 12:38 pm

While the old version of Sync will continue to work, the latest version of Firefox doesn't support adding new devices to the old version of Sync. This means that you won't be able to sync with a new device.

Mozilla will continue to host the old version of Sync for a limited time to allow for migration to Firefox Accounts. Self-hosted users will soon be able to run their own instance.

Is there going to be a solution to this?

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 7.0.x

Re: firefox 29 no longer sync to owncloud

Postby RealRancor » Thu May 01, 2014 1:23 pm

Hi,

see this thread for some links:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20730

and ask at the bugtracker of the app for the current status.
*gone*

RealRancor
ownCloud master

Postby RealRancor » Fri May 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi,

just some more infos:

A "real" solution for this is only possible from mozilla side (see the linked thread).

But if you still want to sync to ownCloud from new devices set this option:

Code: Select all

services.sync.fxaccounts.enabled = false

in about:config

The source of this information is:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=989756#c23
*gone*

nedimyra
ownCloud version: 6.0.2

Postby nedimyra » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:00 am

Hi.
I did some reaserch today, and did find that old Firefox sync is still there, but just disabled in prefs.js.
And the new Mozilla sync service is somehow is enabled in the same file. Before you hack on prefs.js, make a copy.

First I did set services.sync.fxaccounts.enabled = false in about:config, but this didnt work. However sync did work until I did *unlink* by an accident. This made me think it was possible to somehow tweak sync in firefox settings.

Here is what I did:
Before upgrading to new Firefox 29.0.1, I did a backup of .mozilla in my home folder. I had FF sync configured and runnig with OwnCloud 6.0.2. Firefox about:conf is stored in a file called prefs.js. I did use this old prefs.js to enable old FF sync in new Firefox 29.0.1 install.

####
Pure new FF install:

1) First, I needed to make sure OwnCloud FF-sync was not in use and tied to an other Firefox/PC. If OwnCloud-FF sync is already in use and tied to an other Firefox/PC, I guess it need to pair. I have backup of my bookmarks, so I did a reset in OwnCloud. If I didn\t reset Owncloud (or pair), I did get this message: *Email adress in use* in (6).

2) Copy old pre FF29 prefs.js to /home/user/.mozilla/firefox/fl9dbsqx.default
Edit prefs.js and make these changes:
Delete: user_pref("services.sync.declinedEngines",
Edit and remover account in: user_pref("services.sync.account", "");
Edit and remove password in: user_pref("services.sync.passwords.syncID", "");
(not sure if these changes are strictly necceary, but it did the trick for me)

3) Open /Edit/Preferences/Sync
4) Choose *Set Up Firefox Sync* and choose *Create New Account*
5) Fill account details, and wait 4-5 min for account details to be verified.
6) If you get a *Email address in use*, then you need to pair or reset as described above.

####
Upgrading from an earlier FF install:

(1) & (2) as described above, but here you don't need to copy prefs.js, use it as it is.
3) Then open /Edit/Preferences/Sync and choose *Reset Sync..* from dropdown menu.
4) Follow the wizard until you get back to *Firefox Sync* window, then choose *Create a New account*
Now you should get a window with old menu for setting up Firefox Sync.
5) Fill account details from OwnCloud, and you are good to go.
6) If you get a *Email address in use*, then you need to pair or reset as described above.

If the sequence is halted or something went wrong, then the FF Sync was routed to Mozillas new online sync service, and I had to start over.

I haven't tried pairing, but I assume this will also work. If anybody try pairing and get it it working, I will be happy if you report it here.
This is a inferior solution, but maybe someone can have a closer look at prefs.js and identify exactly which lines are needed to make sync working for OC and FF29.

N

RealRancor
ownCloud master

Postby RealRancor » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:09 am

Hi,

thanks for posting this write-up. The problem with firefox is that according this comment:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=989756#c21

the option to sync "the old way" is completely removed in FF 31-32.
*gone*

nedimyra
ownCloud version: 6.0.2

Postby nedimyra » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:38 pm

Rancor wrote:Hi,

thanks for posting this write-up. The problem with firefox is that according this comment:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=989756#c21

the option to sync "the old way" is completely removed in FF 31-32.

Yea, it looks like the Mozilla Fondation has made a strategical decision https://blog.mozilla.org/services/2014/ ... ity-model/ Reading this post made me feel the decision somehow is tied to their new FirefoxOS, and we may never see old sync reimplemented.

Anyway, maybe its time to *vote with our feet* and just move on to a new browser?
With other browsers it is possible to move your browser root folder containing bookmarks, etc, to synced OwnCloud folder, and just make a link for the browser to use. E.g in linux this work for Midori: 'ln -s /path/to/your/OwnCloud_synced_folder/midori /home/user/.config/midori'

It is still possible to make a crude hack like this for firefox. For this ad-hoc solution to work, you also need a working OcwnCloud client to sync. In addition, firefox appare to save a lot in its root folder, often in the hundreds of MB, opposed to a few MB for Midori. This may make it inefficient to sync .mozilla folder between many PCs and units, rendering it an inferior solution to the *old FF sync*.

klb3317
Webserver: Apache
Database: SQLite

Postby klb3317 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:24 am

Is there a workaround for Mozilla Sync issue?
Like to write a Firefox addon (a-la XMarks) to sync with Owncloud?
Or to write an app for Owncloud to sync with Mozilla Sync, so both Owncloud and Firefox will exchange bookmarks via Mozilla Sync?

EugeneNine
Helpful Elf
ownCloud version: 8.0.0
PHP version: 5.4.29

Postby EugeneNine » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:42 pm

I like the idea of an add-on/plugin for FF, that way you could make an OwnCloud sync plugin/add-on for other browsers as well. Imagine syncing your bookmarks/history/password between Firefox and chromium for example.

Sure Firefox says they won't invade our privacy using their sync service now, but what about tomorrow. Seems they no longer listed to their users with regard to their development. My reason for having my own sync (and caldav. and carddav, etc) server is so minimize the connections I have. I have way too many logins/passwords/connections to other companies, its gotten to the point of being unmanageable. So by using owncloud I've eliminated a google account, dropbox account, mozilla account, etc.

waldlaus
ownCloud version: 9.0.0
PHP version: 5.6.19

Postby waldlaus » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:26 pm

In the meantime, Mozilla has provided a way to change the sync-server.

Goto about:config, search for the token "services.sync.tokenServerURI" and change it's value to your server's URI, like: https://<my-owncloud:port>/owncloud/remote.php/mozilla_sync/

Of course, this has to be configured in every Firefox-installation you want to sync.

Ulrich

Source: https://docs.services.mozilla.com/howto ... c-1.5.html

RealRancor
ownCloud master

Postby RealRancor » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:40 pm

Hi,

unfortunately the mozilla_sync app won't work with the new 1.5 sync so this setting won't help here.

Until Mozilla is removing the old sync 1.1 you still can use the steps provided here:

https://gist.github.com/mariussturm/061 ... ef1292aa60

to sync against your OC.
*gone*