Multiple instances

Ask all your questions regarding OC 6.x Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
ownCloud 6.x reached end of life and is officially unsupported. For details see Wiki page.

Please upgrade your ownCloud.
aperseghin
ownCloud version: 6.0.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: SQLite
PHP version: 5.5.13

Multiple instances

Postby aperseghin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:18 pm

SO we are a service provider that wants to offer multiple companies their own cloud storage solution.
We can group companies using the built in groups but i was wondering if it would be better to run multiple instances of owncloud in docker containers?

Does anyone have any thoughts about the best solution to this question?

moshebari
Beginner
Database: MySQL

Re: Multiple instances

Postby moshebari » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:02 am

As an ownCloud provider, I find it easier to install individual instances, and people do like having their "own" cloud (no pun intended)

bofh@metricloud.com
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.4.16-1

Re: Multiple instances

Postby bofh@metricloud.com » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:57 am

You could also use apache virtual host directives, and dedicate their own database file that would be sufficient along with way less overhead.

I would be more concerned with Disk array methods, and inevitably ways to install ownlcoud in an HA type configuration.

I'm still trying to work some sysadmin magic on infrastructure design to trick owncloud into using it's inherent file replication mechanism to replicate to a 2nd physical server entirely. Then I can deploy pairs and/or clusters of them to provide file redundancy in the case of hardware failures.

Without that, you have to take solutions to a physical level and start getting into SANs where $/TB starts astronomically increase counter acting the $/GB you need to sell it at.
--

Best,

BOFH

System info : DL160 G5 - 2 x L5420, 16gb RAM, 4 x 3TB HDDs (RAID 5), CentOS 6 x86_64 (maintained)
Addon Repos : (EPEL, Powerstack, MariaDB)