Reset Router to Factory Settings and Owncloud is down

Ask all your questions regarding OC 6.x Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
ownCloud 6.x reached end of life and is officially unsupported. For details see Wiki page.

Please upgrade your ownCloud.
VGLance
Beginner
ownCloud version: 6.0.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.5.12

Reset Router to Factory Settings and Owncloud is down

Postby VGLance » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:10 am

I put back the port forwarding settings but now I cannot get anywhere when I try to access owncloud remotely.

I can't for the life of me remember if there are any other router settings that must be done to get this to work.

My setup is Apache on Win 7 server at home. I use a subdomain that I own and dns forward to a static IP. I have an SSL certificate that I created.

When I try to open a browser and go to... https://cloud. I get nothing. The page just sits there forever trying to load. I don't even get an error.

I can't imagine anything would change on the cloud server, just the router. What can I be missing? Are there firewall settings, VPN settings or something else that I need to redo that I lost when I reset the router?

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3

Re: Reset Router to Factory Settings and Owncloud is down

Postby tflidd » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:25 pm

It depends how you access owncloud remotely, if you use VPN then the VPN router settings are important.

The most important are: Set the DHCP in your router that your owncloud-server gets always the same ip. Enable port-forwarding onto your owncloud server (port 80, 443). Server firewall might be a problem but it depends what it does. If you use an dynamic-dns-service (dyndns.org, no-ip.com, ...), you have to enable the client on the router in order to update the dns-name to your actual ip.

VGLance
Beginner

Postby VGLance » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:06 am

I followed everything to the letter using this setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGmiWYCd ... e=youtu.be

I use apache on win 7 on my own server at home with a static IP so I don't need dyndns.

I set up the port forwarding and disabled the firewall.

And other settings are based on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21879&p=62278&hilit=vglance#p62278

When I plug in the URL it just sits forever trying to load but nothing. Not even the SSL certificate popup. All I can think of is some stupid simple router setting somewhere.

Something is also preventing the Teamspeak 3 server from being accessed remotely and like owncloud, both can be accessed locally. And I followed everything to the letter on the TS3 server install and it only breaks in the end when trying to connect to port 10011 remotely.

They have to be related.

tflidd
Forum Moderator

Postby tflidd » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:56 am

Video howtos might be a nice thing, but I prefer a written form to scan through it. As far as I've seen there is nothing about the router.

Just to be clear: You can access owncloud from your local network with the local ip (192.168....)? And before you reset the router, everything worked fine and since then you didn't change the configuration of the OC-server?

In your description it seems that just the port-forwarding doesn't work. Are you sure that it is set properly in your router, maybe you forgot to confirm it or you have to restart the router?
Can you post the port-forwarding configuration of your router (screenshot)?

VGLance
Beginner

Postby VGLance » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:39 am

Ok, the problem seems to be bigger than I thought. I cannot access owncloud locally and even on the host server using the local IP or localhost. I just get a white screen. I googled the white screen issue and it seems like there are way too many potential issues that can cause it including a bad file that was uploaded.

I don't have the time or understanding to resolve this. This software has been awesome when it works and an absolute nightmare when it hasn't. I'm going to have to look at alternatives that are more reliable, have telephone support and don't require learning / installing another operating system.

It's great that it's all free, and I did learn a lot, including creating my own ssl certificate, but the hours even just tonight that I've spent trying to figure this out is getting out of hand.

Besides, my fiancee has not had much luck downloading pictures from her iPhone, nor are there any thumbnails for her to view before downloading. Maybe there's an app addon for that feature, but that's just another learning curve to deal with.

If I wasn't under critical pressure because of the wedding to have this up and running perhaps it would be a different story.

tflidd
Forum Moderator

Postby tflidd » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:55 am

Sorry to hear that. As you said, white screen can be caused by several issues, I would start with disabling app (pictures, contact, calendar, ...) except the files_*-apps. Unfortunately this is not so easy going for inexperienced users and you have to learn a lot. Owncloud support only seems to be affordable in enterprise environments. An alternative could be a owncloud provider who manages all the administration: https://owncloud.org/providers/