Remote access stopped working, SSL error

Ask all your questions regarding OC 6.x Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
ownCloud 6.x reached end of life and is officially unsupported. For details see Wiki page.

Please upgrade your ownCloud.
VGLance
Beginner
ownCloud version: 6.0.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.5.12

Remote access stopped working, SSL error

Postby VGLance » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:39 am

Hi Guys,

My ownlcoud just stopped working, getting SSL certificate errors (different ones from all browsers - see below for messages).

I can access owncloud locally.

My IP address changed so I went into cpanel and edited the DNS Zone Editor entry for cloud.<nameserver>.com like I've done before without problems.

I tried getting into my router to check the port forwarding settings and the user name / pword wasn't working (I may have changed it without updating my password list), so I had to reset the router and rebuild the port forwarding setting to:
Name / Port Range / Local IP / Local Port / Protocol
Owncloud / 8888 / 192.168.1.6 (I confirmed the server is this IP) / 8888 / BOTH (UDP & TCP)

I checked the expiration date of my SSL certificate but it's not expiring until 2016.

I went to an SSL Checker website and the results are as follows:

cloud.<hostname>.com resolves to 70.xxx.xx.244

No SSL certificates were found on cloud.<hostname>.com. Make sure that the name resolves to the correct server and that the SSL port (default is 443) is open on your server's firewall.

I'm using owncloud 6.0.3 and while I'd like to just remove everything and install the latest version of 8.whatever, I am getting married in less than 60 days and I need to get this server back up and running asap because I have documents and music and all sorts of material that people need to access asap and I cannot risk other complications that could put me out of commission permanently because of my lack of experience and lack of video documentation for the newer versions. The videos I used to get it up and running before might not work for the newer versions.

I'm using windows 7, apache 2, wamp server.

Any ideas?

Chrome:
SSL connection error

ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Unable to make a secure connection to the server. This may be a problem with the server, or it may be requiring a client authentication certificate that you don't have.

IE:

This page can’t be displayed

Turn on TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2 in Advanced settings and try connecting to https://cloud.mdtamerica.com:8888 again. If this error persists, contact your site administrator.

NOTE: Those are already turned on

Firefox:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to cloud.mdtamerica.com:8888. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. (Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 7.0.x

Re: Remote access stopped working, SSL error

Postby RealRancor » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:54 am

Hi,

maybe first revert the changes you have done which is causing this issue. As the SSL connection is provided by your webserver a research on the net what could cause such issues could be the next step.

Maybe there is also a Cpanel support forum for such issues? They probably have more experience with their tool.
*gone*

VGLance
Beginner

Postby VGLance » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:14 am

Cpanel support stops at the handshake that is being successfully made in the DNS transfer to the IP address. My hosting provider is awesome with customer service and they did confirm the IP address change successfully propagated soI doubt it has anything to do there. It's definitely got to be an issue handshaking with the SSL certificate itself or a possible firewall issue. Unfortunately I don't remember all my router settings prior to resetting it so if it's an issue with the firewall, I'm not sure where to go there. I'm just not experienced enough with router firewalls to mess with them.

If I were to completely uninstall owncloud and just download the latest version of 8 and just create a new SSL certificate, maybe it would actually be easier. I just need step by step videos like the version 7 one I just found a couple minutes ago which coincidentally is from the same guy that did the version 6 videos that got me set up:

https://www.youtube.com/user/locslikes/about

And even more coincidentally, he's got the exact same first and last name as my fiancee's brother.

I can't seem to find a v8 for windows 7 and wamp server.

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 7.0.x

Postby RealRancor » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:17 am

Hi,

unfortunately uninstalling oC won't solve anything here as oC is not providing any SSL connection/handshaking. Thats done by your webserver as stated above.

You should also note that oC 8 is not supporting Windows anymore:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=27449
*gone*

VGLance
Beginner

Postby VGLance » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:41 am

Thanks for letting me know about v8 not being compatible, that explains why I couldn't find any videos.

Ok, the problem seems to be bigger than I thought. I cannot access owncloud locally and even on the host server using the local IP or localhost. I just get a white screen. I googled the white screen issue and it seems like there are way too many potential issues that can cause it including a bad file that was uploaded.

I don't have the time or understanding to resolve this. This software has been awesome when it works and an absolute nightmare when it hasn't. I'm going to have to look at alternatives that are more reliable, have telephone support and don't require learning / installing another operating system.

It's great that it's all free, and I did learn a lot, including creating my own ssl certificate, but the hours even just tonight that I've spent trying to figure this out is getting out of hand.

Besides, my fiancee has not had much luck downloading pictures from her iPhone, nor are there any thumbnails for her to view before downloading. Maybe there's an app addon for that feature, but that's just another learning curve to deal with.

If I wasn't under critical pressure because of the wedding to have this up and running perhaps it would be a different story.

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3

Postby tflidd » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:01 am

Ok, there you go: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=23941

A possible solution is running owncloud in a Linux-VM (ready-to-go), but that's a different story and you would need some time and patience to get know Linux (and appreciate the advantages :D). You shouldn't do this under pressure.