ownCloud on Seagate Personal Cloud NAS

Ask all your questions regarding OC 7.x Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
ownCloud 7.x will be end of life soon. See maintenance and release schedule for more details.

Time to upgrade!

Before you post; make sure you are using at least PHP Version 5.3.x - Also read Support Forum - Read this before posting
larryb

Re: ownCloud on Seagate Personal Cloud NAS

Postby larryb » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:00 pm

If I were prepared to totally hack the drive and remove Seagates software it might be possible. I'm finding that this is a consumer grade NAS and is designed to be idiot proof. (Of course, the documentation was so oversimplified that I actually felt like an idiot spending hours just setting it up to work as designed.) I suspect most people here are into hacking these drives, or building NAS systems from scratch. If I had the time I'd love to try doing that too. We all have our own priorities.

From what I've learned from searches, Seagate knows nothing about ownCloud, and they refer all questions to ownCloud. ownCloud knows nothing about Seagates rbw stuff, and refers them back to Seagate. This is a frustrating situation for the consumer. I hate to say it, but it's been easier to install BitTorrent Sync because of this. If either Seagate or ownCloud can start talking to each other better and get versions of software that will continue to be upgradeable, I may come back.

Thanks for all your help. I've learned a lot in the last day or two, and actually feel less stupid! It does seem possible, but it's just not worth it for these consumer level NAS Seagates.

Larry

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL

Postby tflidd » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:11 pm

You could get a cheap arm board like the raspberry pi 2 or 3, install owncloud and use it to access your data on the NAS box (for sharing, calendar, whatever).

Delmustator

Postby Delmustator » Tue May 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Hey Larry, I just picked up a Seagate PersonalCloud NAS myself yesterday and have been playing around with it. I too noticed that Seagate likes to brand apps as being "Seagate approved" and packaging them into these .RBW files. I went to Seagate NAS Apps (http://www.seagate.com/services-softwar ... /nas-apps/) just to get a look at the files.

Using 7Zip, I opened and extracted the contents of the .RBW files. It looks like they us this just to have a defined file structure. I looked at two separate .RBW files and they have the same structure. It appears that they take the application (e.g. ownCloud) and place it into a "content.tar.gz" file that is found inside the .RBW file structure. So as long as you follow the file structure and put the application where it's expected, it may install normally.

See the attached screen snipits.
Attachments
PersonalCloud3.JPG
View of tar file contents.
PersonalCloud3.JPG (31.44 KiB) Viewed 883 times
PersonalCloud2.JPG
View of RBW file structure.
PersonalCloud2.JPG (39.43 KiB) Viewed 883 times
PersonalCloud1.JPG
View of original RBW files.
PersonalCloud1.JPG (33.54 KiB) Viewed 883 times
-Del

Delmustator

Postby Delmustator » Tue May 24, 2016 1:59 pm

Sorry... My screen snippets are out of order.

I may mess with this next week. I'm on business travel the rest of this week and will not be able to tinker with it.
-Del

Delmustator

Postby Delmustator » Tue May 24, 2016 2:06 pm

One thing to note. I have not tried to create an .RBW file yet. It may be as simple as creating an archive (e.g. ZIP or 7Z) and renaming the filename extension.

I took one of the existing .RBW files and (using 7Zip) created both .zip and .7z files for comparison. The attached snipit shows a comparison of file sizes using normal compression.

As you can see, the .7z file is somewhat smaller than the .RBW or .zip. As with everything, some testing is needed.
Attachments
PersonalCloud4.JPG
Comparison of archive file sizes.
PersonalCloud4.JPG (19.3 KiB) Viewed 880 times
-Del

JuanS
ownCloud version: 6.0.4
Database: PostgreSQL
PHP version: 5.4

Postby JuanS » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:36 am

Seagate NAS-OS comes with an embebed owncloud 6.04 with sqlite3 as DB, that is awfull even more on business products.
1st. You must use a DB engine like mysql or postgresql
2nd. 6.04 version is dead, you must upgrade.

Bad news is that it is not too easy.

you must login on console to the owncloud container with

Code: Select all

sudo rainbow --enter org.owncloud.owncloud

Believe me that was the tricky part for this Seagate NAS. After this point you can follow any tutorial about upgrade an Owncloud 6.04 on Debian7 and convert Database to postgreSQL because in my case, cant figure out how to use Mysql on my seagate NAS.

abmac
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
PHP version: 5.5

Postby abmac » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:40 pm

I've been playing with this for a week so let me add my two cents to the discussion.

$0.01
I have the Seagate Personal Cloud, that by default does not show ssh access in its menu of services. To enable ssh access you need to access you device with https://my.device.org/?appdev=1 where clearly my.device.org is actually the name of your device. You then need to disable sftp access and then enable ssh access in the services menu. It took me awhile to see this!

$0.02
The rbw files are created using Seagate's SDK within a Virtual Machine that they provide. The website is accessible at
https://www.seagate.com/nasos/SDK/0.7/ with a reasonably good set of instructions. You will need VirtualBox installed to run the machine.

O.K. more than 2 cents

$0.03
I've gotten to the point where I can create a rbw file that will install properly on the device and bring up the setup wizard page for Owncloud 9.0.2, but as pointed out in a previous post there is an issue with mysql. For me it appears when trying to create the database. I have to search the Seagate instructions to see what the default password is within the LAMP setup they provide, but as a test I can reset the admin password on mysql and the wizard appears to work properly once I give it my newly set root password for mysql. I would have assumed mysql would be running by default, but that does not appear to be the case.

I can do this using the " command sudo rainbow --enter com.uwo.own9", where com.uwo.own9 is the ID for my app in my rbw file and then typing
dpkg-reconfigure mysql-server-5.5 and resetting the password.

This is not ideal as the rbw file should be able to handle this. So I'm still working on fixing this. For anybody planning on trying the Virtual Machine out (I am learning about this as I go) my current build.sh file (renamed build.txt for the forum rules) looks like the attached, where I've commented out the line

# php /var/www/owncloud9/occ maintenance:install --database "mysql" --database-name "owncloud" --database-user
"root" --database-pass "password" --admin-user "admin" --admin-pass "password"

because that one does not appear to work. You will note I need to do an apt-get update and then install some additional packages, all of which appear to work properly.

AB
Attachments
build.txt
renamed build.sh file
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

abmac
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
PHP version: 5.5

Postby abmac » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:46 pm

Found answer to my own silly question:

mysql user and password are stored in plain text in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf within the org.debian.wheezy-lamp-1.2-armv7 container. Assumption is good app developers will change it before doing anything else.