Client on Mac unreliable/useless?

Ask all your questions on desktop sync clients. Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
rodrigo

Client on Mac unreliable/useless?

Postby rodrigo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:51 pm

I've really wanted to move onto Owncloud and drop my dropbox but the versions I've tried so far (4.0.4 and 4.0.7 and clients 1.0.4 and 1.0.5) can't seem to handle a large amount of files, or I'm not sure what's happening.

Basically after I've uploaded my files (about 9gb, but ideally I want to get closer to 100gb once I trust it) it starts killing the server CPU (close to 100%, every three minutes). It seems to check each file individually for change, rather than having a document it checks against. The CPU hit/bandwidth on the computer was also not negligible.

Is anyone using the Mac client as a Dropbox replacement for a large amount of files?
Experiencing the same problems?

I really want to switch, but it doesn't look like it's there yet, and unfortunately most of the updates seem to be addressing the web GUI (which is smart looking and all) but there appears to be core stuff wrong.

rodrigo

Re: Client on Mac unreliable/useless?

Postby rodrigo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:50 pm

So I gave 4.5/1.1.1 a spin and it's still really unreliable/useless.

I get real bad CPU spikes on both the client and server machines (up to 100% on/off like every minute or so). I don't know what triggers it but I'll notice my fan spinning like crazy then when I check activity monitor it shows the client is to blame.

This is on two separate client machines (MacBookPro and iMac, both with the latest(10.8.2) Mountain Lion)

It also seem to be really inconsistent in deleting files (often pushing them right back).

Even if the crazy CPU spikes weren't there, I couldn't trust the client to handle the files if it doesn't let me delete anything.

The taskbar icon is all but useless to tell wether it's syncing or not (the actual part that shows the change must be like 3 pixels tall). Can't the whole thing change (ala dropbox taskbar icon).

More than anything, I want to get away from dropbox, but it seems that update after update from owncloud doesn't improve the core functionality.
I can't imagine what the enterprise version would be doing different, because as this stands, I wouldn't count on it for anything at all, and it's free software....

To sum up, is anyone getting dropbox like reliability/useability for a high amount and GB of files (8gb and 12k files) on a Mac?

rakekniven
Inventory
ownCloud version: 9.0.1
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.6.x

Postby rakekniven » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi rodrigo,

you do not trust owncloud and doubt that even the enterprise will work.
So please stay with dropbox or something similar you are happy with cause it is working like you expect it.
Sometimes I am tired of all that mimimi.
Owncloud is new, still growing and moving fast.

My suggestion to you:
Make a fresh install of 4.5.1a serverside, clean your clients and start a fresh sync.
First sync will take some time, later it is fine.
Don't believe? Start client with logwindow option and see in detail what is going on.
ownCloud is not only about files. There is so much more. Explore the apps to extend your ownCloud.

rakekniven
Inventory

Postby rakekniven » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:01 pm

rodrigo wrote:The taskbar icon is all but useless to tell wether it's syncing or not (the actual part that shows the change must be like 3 pixels tall). Can't the whole thing change (ala dropbox taskbar icon).

Here I agree 100%.
Will you file a enhancement issue at github for us?
ownCloud is not only about files. There is so much more. Explore the apps to extend your ownCloud.

rodrigo

Postby rodrigo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:32 am

rakekniven wrote:you do not trust owncloud and doubt that even the enterprise will work.
So please stay with dropbox or something similar you are happy with cause it is working like you expect it.
Sometimes I am tired of all that mimimi.
Owncloud is new, still growing and moving fast.

4.5+ is not exactly new. And I'm not talking about fancy features. This is core functionality stuff that doesn't seem to be there. (File syncing without timesync problems (finally this is gone) and with the ability to delete files) To be honest I've not messed with any of the web interface/calendar/contact stuff, so maybe all of that works swimingly.

The impetus of my post was to see if anyone on a Mac has gotten useful results with owncloud, as I've personally had no luck with 3-4 versions/updates worth of attempts.

rakekniven wrote:My suggestion to you:
Make a fresh install of 4.5.1a serverside, clean your clients and start a fresh sync.
First sync will take some time, later it is fine.
Don't believe? Start client with logwindow option and see in detail what is going on.

I've not tried 4.5.1a yet but looking at the changelog it doesn't seem to address issues that I've been experiencing (CPU spiking server/client and file deletability)

rakekniven wrote:Here I agree 100%.
Will you file a enhancement issue at github for us?

I submitted it as a request a few versions ago (probably 4.0.1ish era. Don't remember exactly. Though looking at it now and I remember it looking different. I guess the bugtracking/feature request backend has changed recently-ish?

rakekniven
Inventory

Postby rakekniven » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:45 am

rodrigo wrote:The impetus of my post was to see if anyone on a Mac has gotten useful results with owncloud, as I've personally had no luck with 3-4 versions/updates worth of attempts.

Myself is using it daily for productive use. Here and there I had problems that my client has not been syncing for some hours. But it repaired itself :-/

rodrigo wrote:I've not tried 4.5.1a yet but looking at the changelog it doesn't seem to address issues that I've been experiencing (CPU spiking server/client and file deletability)

CPU spikes. Have you tracked it down? Is it your webserver? Which one are you using? Any 3rd party apps enabled in OC?

rodrigo wrote:I submitted it as a request a few versions ago (probably 4.0.1ish era. Don't remember exactly. Though looking at it now and I remember it looking different. I guess the bugtracking/feature request backend has changed recently-ish?

Bugtracking system has been changed. See viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4537

Dou you remember issue no. of your report? We can move it to new system and I will place a comment there as well. Thx.

RandolphCarter
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 8.1.1
PHP version: 5.5.x

Postby RandolphCarter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:32 am

CPU spikes. Have you tracked it down? Is it your webserver? Which one are you using? Any 3rd party apps enabled in OC?

That's something inherent to the current client implementation - it simply scans the whole sync directory every 10 seconds (for local changes) and a little less often (something like 30-60 seconds) for server changes. So if you have a sufficiently large number of synced files, you will see such CPU spikes - and the battery of any laptop you're using it on will be used up much sooner than usual.

I have reported an issue for that, and also in my opinion, that is one of the most pressing issues that need to be adressed to make owncloud competitive to other cloud syncing solutions...

rakekniven
Inventory

Postby rakekniven » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:10 pm

We talked about that a lot. You remember? viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4111

With version 1.1.1/4.5.0 there was a major change.
Here my client runs smoothly, not perfect.

btw. I prefer our wanted solution

rodrigo

Postby rodrigo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:25 pm

I commented on the request for it.

That would explain the CPU issues as 14,000 files to go through every 10 seconds is a shit load of work....

rakekniven
Inventory

Postby rakekniven » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:52 pm

They didn't go through every 10 seconds.
The client checks changes on directories and only steps deeper and deeper if changes are present.