Important: Windows support is/will be dropped

Ask all your questions regarding OC 8.0 and 8.1 Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 7.0.x

Important: Windows support is/will be dropped

Postby RealRancor » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:52 pm

Hi,

starting with OC8 the windows support was dropped:

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/8.0/adm ... -supported

Additional to this ownCloud 8.1 won't run at all as an "hard-fail" will be added:

https://github.com/owncloud/core/pull/14540

*Edit*

The official blogpost about the dropped windows support is now available here:

https://owncloud.org/blog/owncloud-serv ... -natively/
Last edited by RealRancor on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
*gone*

miqrogroove
ownCloud version: 8.0.2
Webserver: IIS
PHP version: 5.5.8

Re: Important: Windows support is/will be dropped

Postby miqrogroove » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:39 pm

:cry:

MaxxOdd
Beginner
ownCloud version: 8.2.2
Webserver: Apache
Database: SQLite
PHP version: 5.4

Postby MaxxOdd » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:38 pm

Early April Fools?

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 7.0.x

Postby RealRancor » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:51 pm

Nope, the release notes are there since the release of OC8. The hard-fail ist just there as most are probably not reading or noticing the release notes.
*gone*

raydiation
Developer
ownCloud version: 9.0.0
Database: PostgreSQL
PHP version: 5.6

Postby raydiation » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:23 pm

Basically only 3% of their customers used Windows and PHP on Windows has tons of issues mainly in the file system stuff, one of which can cause your files to go missing and ownCloud being unable to detect it.

And almost no PHP devs use Windows.
Developer of the News app

madmoneymike5
Beginner
PHP version: 5.5.9

Postby madmoneymike5 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:33 pm

Any chance we could use Wubi?

raydiation
Developer
ownCloud version: 9.0.0
Database: PostgreSQL
PHP version: 5.6

Postby raydiation » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:14 am

It's possible but you shouldn't since NTFS on Linux has its own issues. Just use a ready to use Linux server or use Ubuntu, it's really not that hard ;)
Developer of the News app

madmoneymike5
Beginner
PHP version: 5.5.9

Postby madmoneymike5 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:47 pm

...maybe not for you it's not, but some people (myself included) are rather reliant on Windows, however disgusting that may be.

I spent the entire day yesterday trying to determine if everything I have become used to using in Windows is available on Linux, which Linux grandchild I'm supposed to adopt (Debian, Ubuntu, Cent OS, whatever), trying to get Wubi to work (never did, as my Windows' boot manager kept giving me some error about corrupt something-er-other), and finally kissing my data (all 6TB of it) good bye while I formatted the entire thing and just installed Ubuntu. (Yes, I backed it up prior.) What frosts my cookies the most was that I just spent $700+ on parts for my server and several days getting the server up and running on Windows 7, struggling through several problems such as failed uploads, failed downloads, flaky connections, dozens of 500 Internal Server Errors, etc. The whole idea was to save money on not having to pay Dropbox $75+/month for the same amount of space and have the additional privacy as a bonus. And now I have to give up another day I should be spending with my family to set up another server on an operating system I know nothing about, and deal with all the hiccups that I'm sure will come with that. I'll follow a tutorial on YouTube but I'll bet things do not go as planned. I'll bet I still have failed uploads and downloads, corrupt files, 500 Internal Server Errors, etc. I'll bet that not one problem I was having under Windows goes away.

So, while the idea was to save money, you have to begin to wonder, what is my time worth and what's it worth to have less stress and a paid support representative included in the price? Dropbox is starting to look cheaper from that perspective than it used to. Dropbox just works...no problems, no need to switch operating systems, etc., etc.

So, consider people like me who know nothing about Linux before you say, "Just use a ready to use Linux server or use Ubuntu, it's really not that hard ;)" because it really IS that hard for us.

jdrosariop
Webserver: IIS
PHP version: 5.6.6

Postby jdrosariop » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:38 am

I did an installation for a customer less than 30 days ago. I didn't realize that the support was going down for windows server. :cry:

Personally I think this a serious mistake from the ownCloud Team. Even though the developers love Linux and PHP also loves it, Windows Servers are the most used in business enviroments. This important because that's where the money moves. I can install it for me in Linux, but I can ask my customer to change to an OS that no user uses or buy another server, just because we want to have an own cloud.

Besides ownCloud it's great, and it's great what you're doing. Keep going.

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3

Postby tflidd » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:03 am

@madmoneymike5: It's completely understandable that you are not happy with the solution. The developers dropped the OC 8 support after they have seen that there can be data loss. This way, it is still better to say sorry, it won't work for Windows and we have to drop the support rather than letting you go and experience serious data loss. Full windows support would be of course the preferred option.
If you are not sure about different linux version and you want to give them a try, you can use VirtualBox for example and run it on a VirtualMachine. Good thing is, a lot of problem and little tricks (see the OC 7 doc, there are already restrictions for the Windows version ) are not needed on Linux. Have a look on the bugtracker for all the specific Windows-problems: https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues ... +server%22

Owncloud 7 can still be used in Windows. So if you need a real quick solution, you can run owncloud 7. Of course, on the long term, you should then migrate to Linux and if you have a new machine to be set up, it makes sense to run directly Linux there.

@jdrosariop: Raydiation pointed out that only 3% of the business users (owncloud enterprise) use Windows. Now they consider it to be less an effort to migrate all these customers to Linux than continuing Windows support. In previous versions, there were restrictions for the use on Windows platforms and Linux was recommended. But owncloud is an open source project, people can implement Windows support or pay developers to do so. Have a look on the linked discussions. To reach out to the developers, it is better to discuss this on the mailinglist as most parts here are only users.