Important: Windows support is/will be dropped

Ask all your questions regarding OC 8.0 and 8.1 Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
Curtis Brabham
ownCloud version: 8.0.2
Webserver: IIS
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.5.5

Re: Important: Windows support is/will be dropped

Postby Curtis Brabham » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:56 pm

This a bad decision and sounds more like you don't want to figure out the issue with your code. NTFS does NOT just delete files. PHP on Windows does NOT just delete files. I've run multiple PHP sites on Windows (from 2003 up through 2012 R2) for years and never had an issue with this. We've been running ownCloud on Windows since version 5.x and never had an issue with files being deleted. We are currently running 8.0.0 on Windows Server 2012 R2 with PHP 5.5.5 and using MySQL for the database. The only issue I have is that I can't get it to upgrade to 8.0.2 because I get the "too many major versions" error.

It's not even that difficult to setup. And for some of us, Linux is absolutely not an option. So now we're being left with finding an alternative.

https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/13410
Works fine on my 8.0.0 on Windows Server 2012 R2 setup. I can rename and move without issue.

https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/13514
Coding issue, NOT because it's running on Windows. I also see this on my Windows install, but it doesn't affect the way it works.

https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/12518
The first response was "I can't help because I don't have IIS nor Postgres". :roll: Subsequent responses say it's been reported before and can happen on MySQL and MS SQL. Sounds like another coding issue to me.

https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/12263
Blamed on the "PHP on Windows implementation", but I've never seen this happen. I'm not saying it can't, but I don't think PHP or IIS were the cause...especially since it stopped happening after he upgraded to 7.0.4.

I could likely keep going. These all seem to be coding issues. I'm definitely not a PHP expert, but these all seem to be fixable issues and other systems that do uploads (forums, galleries, blogs, etc.) don't have any problems supporting Windows-based servers.

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 7.0.x

Postby RealRancor » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi,

Curtis Brabham wrote:This a bad decision and sounds more like you don't want to figure out the issue with your code.

please note:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23696

There is no "you" or "your" in here.
Last edited by RealRancor on Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*gone*

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3
Webserver: Apache

Postby tflidd » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:05 pm

Direct your concerns to the developers in the referenced github-issue, irc or mailinglist. Developers are rarely on this forum and won't notice your remarks.

edit: Just some idea, if enough business users on windows subscribed to the commercial version, owncloud could hire some Windows-php-developers. Or you gather some money (bountysource or whatever). Talk to the developers first, if they think this is do-able.

jospoortvliet
Starter
ownCloud version: 6.0.2
PHP version: 5.5

Postby jospoortvliet » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:29 pm

Unfortunately, yes, the reality is simple: nobody has stepped up to fix the Windows Server related issues in ownCloud 8 and things were getting worse for 8.1. Unless somebody comes and fixes the problem, there is no point in promising to support something which does not work reliably.

We had to implement an entirely separate file abstraction layer just for Windows and still we experience stability and performance issues - and that is just one of the problems ownCloud has on Windows Server. Unless somebody steps forward to maintain the work-arounds (and implement more), it just won't work anymore and then it is better to be honest about it and drop support.

Again, help is welcome. If you feel like fixing the ownCloud 8 issues with Windows Server and offer to maintain Windows Support, we can re-consider the changes for ownCloud 8.1 or bring it back in a later release. It is up to you, dear ownCloud-Server-on-Windows-Server-users, not us/me/the current ownCloud contributors.

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 7.0.x

Postby RealRancor » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:40 am

The official blogpost about the dropped windows support is now available here:

https://owncloud.org/blog/owncloud-serv ... -natively/
*gone*

My1xT
Beginner
ownCloud version: 6.0.0a
PHP version: 5.5.11

Postby My1xT » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:51 am

tflidd wrote:@jdrosariop: Raydiation pointed out that only 3% of the business users (owncloud enterprise) use Windows.

but the enterprise is not everything.
I for example use OC Community on my home PC with an XAMPP which runs quite nicely (except for being on OC6) and I thought about changing to OC8 but looks like that wont happen...

raydiation
Developer
ownCloud version: 9.0.0
Database: PostgreSQL
PHP version: 5.6

Postby raydiation » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:21 pm

Enterprise is pretty much the only reason why Windows support does actually exist, that's why those numbers are important. Pretty much no community developer wants to work on supporting Windows because it is a nightmare. If you however want Windows support, feel free to contribute patches or just start learning how to operate a Linux server (which is probably less time consuming).
Developer of the News app

madmoneymike5
Beginner
ownCloud version: 8.0.2
PHP version: 5.5.9

Postby madmoneymike5 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:39 am

raydiation wrote:...or just start learning how to operate a Linux server (which is probably less time consuming).

This is a true statement, but that doesn't make it any less of a pain in the arse. Linux seems to be the operating system of choice for super-guru computer folks. Then there's the rest of us would really like things to 'just work out of the box.' At first glance, ownCloud seemed to me to be just that sort of thing--a private cloud system that was designed to work out of the box. Well...it doesn't just work out of the box without tweaking, it wasn't designed to work out of the box, and certainly now, it isn't designed to work out of the box. The learning curve of operating this piece of software just got that much harder.

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3

Postby tflidd » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:42 am

The closest owncloud "out of the box"-experience you can get is a virtual server environment (available for all platforms, some like virtualbox are free) when you use a linux-image with pre-installed owncloud:
https://susestudio.com/a/TadMax/owncloud-in-a-box
https://bitnami.com/stack/owncloud/virtual-machine

You will have to change passwords, put your own SSL certificates, ... Sure it is on Linux-platforms.

I don't know if a discussion about "them", "us"... leads to anything, everyone probably has a preferred platform. When you are familiar with Windows-Server environments, it adds a lot of additional work to learn Linux platforms as well. It would be the same for Linux-server guys ("super-gurus computer folks") that would have to work on Windows-server.
Unfortunately, the code doesn't work just like it is on Windows and needs modifications. 3% of the business users use Windows platforms, 97% don't. What if the 3% of the revenues are not sufficient to make the code Windows-compatible? The number for private users is perhaps different (there was a survey: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27112 it doesn't specify the OS. ARM boards are Linux/BSD, NAS probably as well, the majority of hosting providers as well).

What do you suggest?

My1xT
Beginner
ownCloud version: 6.0.0a
PHP version: 5.5.11

Postby My1xT » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:26 pm

raydiation wrote:Enterprise is pretty much the only reason why Windows support does actually exist, that's why those numbers are important. Pretty much no community developer wants to work on supporting Windows because it is a nightmare. If you however want Windows support, feel free to contribute patches or just start learning how to operate a Linux server (which is probably less time consuming).

it is not about not knowing how to operate a linux server. I am an IT apprentice, the point is that I have running it on my home PC dure to the fact I can directly access my drives and I have no "real" server...