Important: Windows support is/will be dropped

Ask all your questions regarding OC 8.0 and 8.1 Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL

Re: Important: Windows support is/will be dropped

Postby tflidd » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:50 pm

For people running owncloud on Windows Desktop, I created a VirtualBox-Image that can be directly run:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29238

EugeneNine
Helpful Elf
ownCloud version: 8.0.0
PHP version: 5.4.29

Postby EugeneNine » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:18 am

madmoneymike5 wrote:Not everyone has an extra computer that they'd want to run Linux on, even if they knew how.

A $35 Raspberry Pi 2 works just fine and takes less space and power than a old extra computer.

My1xT
Beginner
ownCloud version: 6.0.0a
PHP version: 5.5.11

Postby My1xT » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:21 am

wasnt it always said that a raaspi is too weak for OC?
also a raspi no matter which one doesnt offer an decent way to attach a HDD like eSata/Sata or USB 3.

tflidd
Forum Moderator

Postby tflidd » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:51 am

The network interface is only 100 Mbit/s, I see no point for USB 3.0. On Raspberry 2.0 you can run owncloud. There are other ARM boards with 1Gbit/s network and SATA/USB 3.0 where you get more performance.

EugeneNine
Helpful Elf

Postby EugeneNine » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:18 am

The original Sperry pi would just run it, the Pi 2 runs as well as an old extra pc. The banana pi has sata

My1xT
Beginner
ownCloud version: 6.0.0a
PHP version: 5.5.11

Postby My1xT » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:43 am

okay nice to know

EugeneNine
Helpful Elf

Postby EugeneNine » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:07 pm

I've been running an RP2 since they first came out. One thing I learned is to not use the microsd, leave it at /boot only. I then used a small 16 or 32G flash drive as /root and a 128G flash as the owncloud data folder. Of course the 128G could be replaced by a larger drive as needed.
I'm going to order another rp2 to replace my internal server now, I keep my web facing owncloud server and internal server separate just for extra security.

elessard84
ownCloud version: 8.1.0
Webserver: IIS
PHP version: 5.6

Postby elessard84 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:59 am

I'm realy realy sad that they drop windows support. That a deal breaker for me. Switching my server to linux is just impossible; I have so many thing that can't run on linux on it. The VM solotion?? Tried, that was a pain in my lower back.

I ran owncloud for a wild on different linux platform on Virtualbox and VMware. Just let me expose my experience with that (and blow some steam xp). (and I'm sorry; I'm a french canadian so my english is so so)

Virtualbox perf are bad and that not the most reliable piece of software. VMware is a little better but can't do the simple thing like auto start or resume a VM on boot (why??!!). You can think that a limitation to the free version (vmplayer) but no that just a feature that they drop way back (don't remember at wich version). Add to that, that samba on linux (at least on ubuntu package) is so unstable; if you want your files not on a virtual drive but on a shared drive (ntfs) on windows you can forget that (maybe a fat32 formated drive would work but didn't try since I need feature that fat32 don't support.... large file anyone??). And I tried diferent samba package; file transfert always drop on heavy use and you need to completly restart the VM to reconnect to the drive.

Other thing if you have some web service already running in IIS your srew. Let me explain.

IIS reverse proxy to owncloud (in VM) + owncloud client = some files with special caratere won't sync and big file won't sync whith the owncloud client (just like the client use some PHP code to?!!). So if you have all your thing set in IIS you have to have to completly rebuild your set up in apache for windows and lost a lot of time and a lot of perf (IIS have is flaw but is realy realy fast and realible). Or you can have the false good idea of reverse proxiing from the VM to IIS. Don't do that: I worked hard to find why I had connection drop and realy bad perf on my web services hosted on windows and in the end that was reverse proxiing from the VM the culprite.

the king is dead long live the king

tflidd
Forum Moderator

Postby tflidd » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:54 pm

elessard84 wrote:Virtualbox perf are bad and that not the most reliable piece of software. VMware is a little better but can't do the simple thing like auto start or resume a VM on boot (why??!!). You can think that a limitation to the free version (vmplayer) but no that just a feature that they drop way back (don't remember at wich version). Add to that, that samba on linux (at least on ubuntu package) is so unstable; if you want your files not on a virtual drive but on a shared drive (ntfs) on windows you can forget that (maybe a fat32 formated drive would work but didn't try since I need feature that fat32 don't support.... large file anyone??). And I tried diferent samba package; file transfert always drop on heavy use and you need to completly restart the VM to reconnect to the drive.

Thanks for this feedback. Can you give an example for a number/size of files/directories when you see this problems? I admit that I only did some very basic testing with a smaller directory with maybe 1000 files. With shared drive you are referring to external storage via smbclient?

I don't know IIS at all, so maybe some of the other Windows experts might help you out there.

EugeneNine
Helpful Elf

Postby EugeneNine » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:18 am

Virtualbox's performance is not bad, unless your using windows as a host. Any guest on windows as a host performance is bad. Run it on a decent (linux) host and performance is fine.