Important: Windows support is/will be dropped

Ask all your questions regarding OC 8.0 and 8.1 Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL

Re: Important: Windows support is/will be dropped

Postby tflidd » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:27 am

EugeneNine wrote:Virtualbox's performance is not bad, unless your using windows as a host. Any guest on windows as a host performance is bad. Run it on a decent (linux) host and performance is fine.

People here need a solution for a windows host. On linux there is no need for virtualization.

elessard84
ownCloud version: 8.1.0
Webserver: IIS
PHP version: 5.6

Postby elessard84 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:32 pm

tflidd wrote:
elessard84 wrote:Virtualbox perf are bad and that not the most reliable piece of software. VMware is a little better but can't do the simple thing like auto start or resume a VM on boot (why??!!). You can think that a limitation to the free version (vmplayer) but no that just a feature that they drop way back (don't remember at wich version). Add to that, that samba on linux (at least on ubuntu package) is so unstable; if you want your files not on a virtual drive but on a shared drive (ntfs) on windows you can forget that (maybe a fat32 formated drive would work but didn't try since I need feature that fat32 don't support.... large file anyone??). And I tried diferent samba package; file transfert always drop on heavy use and you need to completly restart the VM to reconnect to the drive.

Thanks for this feedback. Can you give an example for a number/size of files/directories when you see this problems? I admit that I only did some very basic testing with a smaller directory with maybe 1000 files. With shared drive you are referring to external storage via smbclient?

I don't know IIS at all, so maybe some of the other Windows experts might help you out there.

Again sorry for my english --'
First of all I want to explain why I tried to use data storage outside of the VM. It's because by doing that I can use my existing sytem for easy data recover and backup. Backup that don't put the sytem down for doing it (I didn't try but I'm pretty sure that you need to stop de VM to make a copy of the VM HDD) and backup that use a lot less place since you can use smart and selective backup (I don't know the terme in english for that kind of backup)

For my test I used a folder of a depoyment for autocad civil 3d; 8.40go of data in 1 317 foldes (15070 files wih files having exotique carateres in it). When I was testing with external storage (yes smbclient connected to a share folder) I already had chose VMware 10 (that I updraded during my test to 11 to see if that helped) And I tested with ubuntu 14.3 and 14.10 server without Ui (head less).for smbclient I use the last in date for sure, they other I can't recall wish version I tried sorry (but all gave my the same result exepte the mount commande needed to be different to work with older smbclient version). But in this case that not a owncloud probleme that juste the smbclient that not reliable (probably because dev having to deal to microsoft close software). The sambaclient crashed every time (if I remember correctly I don't think I was going ove 300 / 400 mb before that happen) I said that I needed to restart the VM because it's was simpler to do taht then restarting the service and manualy mount the folder (with a command looking like #vi /etc/fstab//192.168.0.1/share1 /test smbfs rw,user,username=surendra,password=xylBJRS8 0 0)

tflidd
Forum Moderator

Postby tflidd » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

Again to clear up: you mounted the whole data-folder via smbfs? Not the external storage feature inside owncloud (which you can setup on the webinterface for each user)?

elessard84

Postby elessard84 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:02 pm

tflidd wrote:Again to clear up: you mounted the whole data-folder via smbfs? Not the external storage feature inside owncloud (which you can setup on the webinterface for each user)?

Yeah all the data outside the VM and outside the virtual drive. By data I don't mean the owcloud core but juste the users data folders.

tflidd
Forum Moderator

Postby tflidd » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:13 pm

I think smbfs is deprecated (and not supported) and you should use the modern cifs-vfs instead.

elessard84

Postby elessard84 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:06 am

tflidd wrote:I think smbfs is deprecated (and not supported) and you should use the modern cifs-vfs instead.

That was thee month ago so I just copy past a mount commande from a wiki in my previous message but I used cifs-vfs pretty sure.

Thank you for your help :) but I don't want to wast your time. Since owncloud droped windows support I shut down my owncloud server and I'm in the middle of testing new alternative. I won't go back to owncloud unless they commit to support Windows. Sorry

My1xT
Beginner
ownCloud version: 6.0.0a
PHP version: 5.5.11

Postby My1xT » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:31 pm

what is that alternative?

webstas

Postby webstas » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:43 am

you guys should allow a continue without support option, this banning you for windows crap doesn't fly.

i mean if i have a windows server and want to deal with the issues and defects that should be my choice, making it so i cant upgrade or play with the new version because of my os is not cool.

My1xT
Beginner
ownCloud version: 6.0.0a
PHP version: 5.5.11

Postby My1xT » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:05 am

well oc is open source you could easily kill the killswitch...

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 7.0.x

Postby RealRancor » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:06 am

@webstas We're just users in here and can't allow anything
*gone*