Important: Windows support is/will be dropped

Ask all your questions regarding OC 8.0 and 8.1 Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
aw-nz
ownCloud version: 6.0.0a
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.4.24

Re: Important: Windows support is/will be dropped

Postby aw-nz » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:33 am

For Windows users - VirtualBox is the way to go. VB5 introduces paravirtualisation support which helps with performance.

I don't do this at work/production environments, but for my home/test ownCloud install I use VirtualBox Shared Folders to make some host folders available to the guest running ownCloud, then I point ownCloud to them as local folder external storage.

wim-bart
ownCloud version: 8.0.8
Webserver: IIS
PHP version: 5.6.14

Postby wim-bart » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:59 pm

I've installed a couple of OwnCloud 8 instances at various places. It's alle IIS based on Server 2012 R2. One of our clients wanted to go to 8.1 Enterprise because he is very enthousiastic about the product. But Linux is not an option. So 2 weeks before goiing in production we upgraded to 8.1 and now we have a "Windows is not supported" message.

The client gives some options:
1. Back to 8.0 version, in our opinion not an option due to maintenance and support
2. Or an other product.

Are there other products compared to OwnCloud what will run in a Microsoft Only Environment?

What is not discusable:
- Virtual Linux Machine (client runs Hyper-V 2012 R2);
- Linux in the enterprise (no knowledge at onsite supporting crew.

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3

Postby tflidd » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:38 am

wim-bart wrote:I've installed a couple of OwnCloud 8 instances at various places. It's alle IIS based on Server 2012 R2. One of our clients wanted to go to 8.1 Enterprise because he is very enthousiastic about the product. But Linux is not an option. So 2 weeks before goiing in production we upgraded to 8.1 and now we have a "Windows is not supported" message.

The client gives some options:
1. Back to 8.0 version, in our opinion not an option due to maintenance and support
2. Or an other product.

Are there other products compared to OwnCloud what will run in a Microsoft Only Environment?

What is not discusable:
- Virtual Linux Machine (client runs Hyper-V 2012 R2);
- Linux in the enterprise (no knowledge at onsite supporting crew.

Better ask this question in a forum with more Windows users and where they perhaps know other products. The majority here uses owncloud (and not seafile, SparkleShare, Pydio, Cozy, Syncthing ...)

dbdavis1990
Starter
ownCloud version: 8.2.1
PHP version: 5.5.9

Postby dbdavis1990 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:13 pm

I've used seafile and owncloud and I prefer OwnCloud. I run my personal one in Virtual box using Ubuntu and it's great. My organization is setup on an Ubuntu VM in Azure. OC8 supports SMB shares and external storage and there are a few preconfigured VMs out there. Bitnami loads out of the box. Turnkey as well and so on.

It looks like some people just don't even want to try. All they have to do is boot from an image and roll with it. Honestly it uses less resources and is quicker to setup in Linux anyway. It runs a lot faster in Linux for sure. It is also a more stable and secure way to run a server exposed to the outside world.

I don't think your lack of experience with Linux should constitute putting someone in a position where their data can be exposed or the server can be hacked some way. A true IT tech would find the best solution based on multiple factors and deliver it. I go out of my comfort zone all the time and I end up learning something new and different ways to do things. The biggest problem with IT is older techs who refuse to get with the times. Move out of the way and let the ones willing to learn and better the field take over.

Reasons why people don't want to learn are intimidation, laziness, or incompitence. Honestly I know 13 year olds setting up linux servers and port forwards. I fully expect someone with a degree working in the same field to at least be able to google or youtube it.