Upgrade 7-> 8 Database issues

Ask all your questions regarding OC 8.0 and 8.1 Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
plutocrat
Beginner
ownCloud version: 8.1.3
Webserver: nginx
Database: SQLite
PHP version: 5.4.45

Upgrade 7-> 8 Database issues

Postby plutocrat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:16 am

Hi,
Probably quite an odd query here, but I was just trying to upgrade to version 8 and I got a database error. It seems that it doesn't like the fact that my mysql server doesn't have innoDB. The reason I'm running MyISAM only is that this server only has 1Gb of RAM, and if I enable innoDB, that takes up most of the memory and the server keeps crashing. If Owncloud doesn't actually require innoDB, then perhaps the fact that the database scheme insists on it rather than just accepting the server default is a bug? Or perhaps it should ask what the current install uses and just replicate that. My Owncloud install has been running just fine on myISAM for the record.

So, assuming there are reasons for the insistance on innoDB, are any of the following possible?

1). Change the default database engine type in a config file somewhere?

2). Somehow edit the upgrade script to change the ENGINE of each table. Where is this script located, and I can investigate?

3). Roll the installation back to sqlite. I see the occ script can convert from sqlite to mysql, but it doesn't seem to be able to go backwards. There is only one light user on this server (me), so I feel I could get away with Sqlite.

Any other suggestions?

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 7.0.x

Re: Upgrade 7-> 8 Database issues

Postby RealRancor » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:40 am

Hi,

i think the explicit usage of InnoDB is something you should discuss with the developers at the devel mailinglist:

https://mailman.owncloud.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

or the IRC channel #owncloud-dev at freenode. They probably know the reasons behind this choice and if its possible to use other engines.
*gone*

plutocrat
Beginner

Postby plutocrat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:15 am

Not much life in the dev IRC channel right now. I did get a response saying that there was no easy path back from mysql to sqlite which is one of my questions answered.

Looking like my best option is to copy the install to another server, let it upgrade with innoDB, change the innoDB database back to myISAM and then copy it back to the live server. A bit of a hassle, but doable.

plutocrat
Beginner

Postby plutocrat » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:14 am

Finally solved this one by running two installs, my 7.x and my 8.x install, and using vdirsyncer to copy data from one to the other. Search the forums for vdirsyncer to find my other post on this for details.