Client activity logs?

Ask all your questions regarding OC 8.0 and 8.1 Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
tomstephens89
ownCloud version: 8.1.1

Client activity logs?

Postby tomstephens89 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:00 pm

Hi there,

Ive been using owncloud for around a year now in a small business and have to say what an excellent product it is!

However I have a question concerning logging the activity of connected desktop sync clients. In this specific example, an employee has left the business and as such we want to ensure that his access to the shared folders he had synced to his laptop is revoked.

Now I tested this functionality and know that providing my desktop client is online and connects to the owncloud server, when I removed said test account from the shared folder group, the client deletes the local copy of that shared folder. This is the behaviour I would expect.

However, I want to know if there are any ways from the server side, to verify if this has happened yet. Any server side log files I can look at to confirm if a sync client has removed a folder?

Thanks
Tom

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 7.0.x

Re: Client activity logs?

Postby RealRancor » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:45 pm

Hi,

unfortunately the server don't get the sync state of the client so there is no reliable way to achieve what you're looking for.
*gone*

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL

Postby tflidd » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:31 pm

You can check (webserver logfiles), if the client was connected since you removed the share (and probably deleted the files). Even if there were a proper notification, you wouldn't know if the user copied the files outside the sync-folders before.

tomstephens89
ownCloud version: 8.1.1

Postby tomstephens89 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:40 pm

tflidd wrote:You can check (webserver logfiles), if the client was connected since you removed the share (and probably deleted the files). Even if there were a proper notification, you wouldn't know if the user copied the files outside the sync-folders before.

Ok I will have a trawl through the logs to see if I can determine if said users desktop client connected after I removed them from the group. I am fully aware that they also might have a copy of the files elsewhere but hey ho, thats a given risk with shared files of any kind.