Does ownCloud allow the use of S3 as an interface?

Ask all your questions regarding OC 8.0 and 8.1 Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
HarryStine
ownCloud version: 8.1.5

Does ownCloud allow the use of S3 as an interface?

Postby HarryStine » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:44 am

Hello.

I apologize if these are naive questions. I am very new to ownCloud and storage concepts, in general.

I am trying to find out what my options are for writing a client application that performs CRUD operations with a remote ownCloud server.

From what I gathered in the documentation WebDav and OCS are two APIs that owncloud uses, though I am not yet sure if one or both is good for CRUD or if one or both is simply a management api or something different.

Also, I have a requirement to find out if it is possible to use Amazon S3 to communicate with ownCloud. I am aware that ownCloud is capable of using S3 for external storage, but what I am trying to find out is if something similar to the reverse is possible, that is if we could perform CRUD operations on ownCloud while interfacing with it through an S3 implementation. For example, if this was true we might be able to have both AWS-S3 as external storage and as an interface which would look something like the following:

client->S3->ownCloud->S3

Where the client could use an S3 client library to make a call to get an object, which would get passed to ownCloud and then to the Amazon cloud where the object would located and send back.

Is this possible?

Thank you for your time and any assistance that can be provided.

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL

Re: Does ownCloud allow the use of S3 as an interface?

Postby tflidd » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:34 am

I think you should ask these questions to the developers directly: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=23696

HarryStine

Postby HarryStine » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:25 pm

OK, thanks. I just sent a message to the mailing list, "devel@owncloud.org". Now that I am thinking about it, that may have had the effect of performing a "reply all". I am scared to think that. Hopefully not. Was this the right way, do you know?

In any case, if I get a response that helps I will post it here.

As it stands, I was able to write a java client that accessed owncloud's webdav interface in a relatively simple fashion. I can create directories, add objects etc. in owncloud's local and external storage areas. So I managed something like the following:

client->webdav->owncloud->S3
and
client->webdav->owncloud->owncloud's local storage

This drifts away from my original question a little, but I would like to get a little out there on what I was able to find, though it may be a repeat of some other information:

There are some java libraries out there to create clients of webdav, but they are not all that well-supported from what I can tell. There's Sardine, Apache Jackrabbit, webdavclient4j and Apache Jakarta.

-Jakarta was retired almost a decade ago, so not so good.

-Jackrabbit may be good, but it has number of additional features and is not specific to webdav. I find it somewhat difficult to find any specific information on using it with webdav.

-webdavclient4j I haven't looked that closely at.

I used Sardine. It appears to be a personal project taken on by either an individual or small group, but it is very intuitive to use.

All of this is enough to make a beginning on what I am trying to do, but still interested in seeing if it is possible to do this through S3.

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL

Postby tflidd » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:47 am

HarryStine

Postby HarryStine » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:37 pm

Yes, that is it. Probably should have included the reference myself, now that I think about it.