Application question (complete noob)

Let's discuss about the project and our community, licence issues (insofar we can answer them), surveys and many more.
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
berkinet

Application question (complete noob)

Postby berkinet » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:28 pm

We are looking to create a community Wi-Fi mesh network for emergency applications (California US, think earthquakes).

Since the network must be able to survive loss of nodes, it is a requirement that any important data be stored across the network. The specific need looks like a number of small SBC (Single Board Computers, RPi, etc.), with typically one SBC per network node. There will be no "clients" for the SBCs as all services will run directly on the SBC. So, if I understand the terminology correctly, each SBC will be its own client and server. (all applications will be terminal or browser based.) We would then like to connect all the SBCs together in a federated network. This would allow any node to drop off the network and still maintain a copy of the last data state, and then re-synch when the network can be joined again.

The data requirements are low. Mostly text files and relatively lo-res photos. There would be somewhere between 12 and 32 nodes in the network.

My questions: Is ownCloud an appropriate technology for this application? If not, can you point me to some other package that might do the job?
Have others done something like this and, if so, do you have any pointers to those projects?

Thanks,

Richard

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL

Re: Application question (complete noob)

Postby tflidd » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:11 pm

berkinet

Postby berkinet » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:50 pm

tflidd wrote:https://syncthing.net/

Thanks. I'v posted this query on their forum as well.

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL

Postby tflidd » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:57 pm

Owncloud itself is centralized on a server (clients can hold copies). But the federated sharing doesn't sync files, it only links files to the original source. For your purpose syncthing or git-annex are probably more stable and they are designed to work without a server.