what are your experiences using session handler for ownCloud in a clustered environment

Ask all your questions regarding OC 8.2 Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
oc_novice
ownCloud version: 8.2.4
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5

what are your experiences using session handler for ownCloud in a clustered environment

Postby oc_novice » Fri May 27, 2016 3:06 pm

Hello ownCloud users,

I was wondering if someone would share his experiences about using session handler with two or more clustered ownCloud servers in a high availabiltiy scenario.

My setup consists of two SuSE 12.1 servers with ownCloud 8.2 installed, each runs a MariaDB galera cluster. Userdata is stored on a nfs share mounted on both machines. To provide session caching, I use the same nfs share for the php session information as for userdata and configured via session.save_path in /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini which seems to work fine for now.

Searching the web for solutions to cache session information with ownCloud, I found that memcached and redis are the most recommended at the moment. But why should I use any of this while php can already manage those session information by its own using a nfs share? Besides possible perfomance issues, are there any known disadvantages of this solution I'm not thinking of?

The only thought I'm struggling with is the way how php handle those session information stored on nfs. One problem I could imagine at this time, if one user got several sessions from the same client that somehow the user will get a locked session caused by himself. Do you think that would be possible?

I'm quite not sure, how php manage its session information so I will be very grateful if you share your opinions and knowledge with me.

Redis and memcached seem to require lots of technical background and isn't provided by an official repo for my SuSE distro, so at this point I would like to provide an easy solution to handle sessions if one of my ownCloud instances goes down to avoid re-authentication of the user.

Thank you!

Kind regards

oc_novice

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL

Re: what are your experiences using session handler for ownCloud in a clustered environment

Postby tflidd » Fri May 27, 2016 4:31 pm

You probably have seen this: https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/adm ... nterprises

If you don't get an answer here for some time, you could try the mailinglist.