Advantages and disadvantages of installing ownCloud w/ a package manager and how to move your ownCloud installation

Ask all your questions regarding OC 9.0 Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
winstr0m
ownCloud version: 9.0.0
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 7.0.4-2

Advantages and disadvantages of installing ownCloud w/ a package manager and how to move your ownCloud installation

Postby winstr0m » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:26 pm

This is more of an ideological question than anything, but bear with me. I'm currently running ownCloud on Arch Linux, and I installed it through the Arch repositories. Because of that, it's located under /usr/share/webapps/owncloud as opposed to /var/www/owncloud or /srv/http/owncloud. As I understand it, everything under /usr (excluding /usr/local) is for the package manager to manage and should not be edited manually. Obviously, I've been ignoring this rule—doing everything from editing the permissions to installing ownCloud apps. I know this is more of a guideline than a concrete rule, but it still bugs me.

There are a couple disadvantages to be had using a package manager. The big one is that if you miss an update, you're screwed. I believe this is why Debian removed ownCloud from their repositories. Another one is that the Arch package doesn't include the ownCloud signatures, so I can't pass the integrity check. Something interesting to note is that if I try to reinstall ownCloud using pacman, it won't let me because I altered the permissions according to the documentation.

My question is whether or not it's possible to move an ownCloud installation so that I could potentially move it out of /usr and into my Apache web root. Something to note is that all of my data is stored on Btrfs subvolumes and mounted under ownCloud/data, so moving all the data isn't an issue. Even if it is possible, should I bother?

Thanks

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 7.0.x

Re: Advantages and disadvantages of installing ownCloud w/ a package manager and how to move your ownCloud installation

Postby RealRancor » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi,

winstr0m wrote:I believe this is why Debian removed ownCloud from their repositories.

ownCloud was removed from Debian on request of the ownCloud devs. If you want to get some background info you could have a look at:

https://lists.alioth.debian.org/piperma ... 02899.html

winstr0m wrote:My question is whether or not it's possible to move an ownCloud installation so that I could potentially move it out of /usr and into my Apache web root. Something to note is that all of my data is stored on Btrfs subvolumes and mounted under ownCloud/data, so moving all the data isn't an issue. Even if it is possible, should I bother?

Currently a fresh installation is advised:

https://github.com/owncloud/documentation/issues/2303
*gone*

Akhénaton
Helpful Elf
PHP version: 7.0.7

Re: Advantages and disadvantages of installing ownCloud w/ a package manager and how to move your ownCloud installation

Postby Akhénaton » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi,

What i didn't understand is the differences between the packages "owncloud-deps-php5" and "owncloud-deps-php7" (except for the PHP part of course)

Why "owncloud-deps-php7" doesn't include "depends apache 2 (>= 2.4.0) and doesn't"recommends one dbserver and exim4) as "owncloud-deps-php5" ?
ownCloud 9.0.2 + Redis server 3.0.7 / 2.2.7 + PHP 7.0.7 running at home.

RealRancor
ownCloud master
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 7.0.x

Postby RealRancor » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi,

that difference is probably something you should report to the bugtracker.
*gone*

Akhénaton
Helpful Elf
PHP version: 7.0.7

Postby Akhénaton » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:58 pm

ownCloud 9.0.2 + Redis server 3.0.7 / 2.2.7 + PHP 7.0.7 running at home.