NOOB Question - Is ownCloud easy to secure?

Ask all your questions regarding OC 9.0 Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
sugarlion
ownCloud version: 9.0.1
Database: SQLite

NOOB Question - Is ownCloud easy to secure?

Postby sugarlion » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:37 pm

Hello forum

I just built a freenas computer with two different goals. To host all my files on a local network as well as to provide access to the files from my mobile devices when I am out on the road. After some looking around it looked like ownCloud was exactly what I was looking for in terms of getting the most out of the NAS. But after doing more digging it seems that ensuring security of my files requires some serious skill. Skills that I do not currently have.

How hard is it to get ownCloud to be secure for someone that has no command line knowledge?

Or perhaps my question should be, what is the easiest way to get it secure enough to face the web?

Would a VPN router help?

Learning some things does not scare me but it is a realistic task for someone that is not a fully qualified network admin?

If ownCloud is not the right platform would anyone be willing to offer a service that might be easier to use?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL

Re: NOOB Question - Is ownCloud easy to secure?

Postby tflidd » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:31 am

In the beginning, you should play around with such systems and don't expose them to the internet. A VPN can be a way, so you need to connect to this VPN before you can access owncloud.

Owncloud is a web service (based on a webserver + php), so you can just use any guide/book for how to get a web/dedicated server "secure". It's helpful to have a guide which uses the same distribution, freenas was based on FreeBSD?

sugarlion
ownCloud version: 9.0.1
Database: SQLite

Re: NOOB Question - Is ownCloud easy to secure?

Postby sugarlion » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:39 am

Thanks tflidd

Sounds like good advice. I am thinking that I am going to use FreeNAS to act as a basic file share system at home and possibly just use something like Plex to stream media to external devices once I get my head around that. It is designed to be simple and relatively secure as I understand it.

Yes FreNASis built on FreeBSD.

I just the easiest path to be honest. I am not ever looking to get into this to much as a pastime. I don't want to be stupid about it but it just has to work.