Changins internal usernames

Ask all your questions regarding OC 9.0 Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
fbassas
Beginner
ownCloud version: 6.0.0a
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.3.3

Changins internal usernames

Postby fbassas » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:20 am

Hi everyone,

since we started to use Owncloud, we set "intenal usernames" to default. So we are using the UUID attribute.
But we have realized it would be better for us to use LDAP uid attribute in order to identify user properties like user data directory quicker.
We are not sure if changing this now could affect current users. So questions are:

- If we change now "internal username" from "uuid" to "uid", could this affect current users?
- Is there a safe way to change current users internal uuid? I guess it will be difficult because the internal id is in several database tables.

Server configuration
Operating system: Linux ubuntu 14.04
Web server: apache 2.4
Database: mysql 5.5
PHP version: 5.5.9
ownCloud version (see ownCloud admin page): 9

jdickert

Re: Changins internal usernames

Postby jdickert » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:23 pm

I was just searching to do the same thing. Except in our case our HR folks decided a different uid naming convention than the one IT started with. I'm hoping to dig around and find a solution but I suspect we'd have to script the change to manually go through the DB and files to swap them around which won't be pretty. However, such a tool would be useful to other LDAP/backends for user management. As much as we'd like to lock down on a specific identifier if the backend changes ownCloud needs to follow suit (one way or another).

Thanks,
Jason

jdickert

Postby jdickert » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:28 pm

Sorry, I should have replied to this,
If we change now "internal username" from "uuid" to "uid", could this affect current users?

I think if you change the internal username you basically wipe out the link between your LDAP users and ownCloud users. And as such all your users will end up being "new" to ownCloud again. Internally in the database for example the uuid is the "username" ownCloud uses for permissions, quotas, sharing, etc.. Changing the internal attribute does not (as far as I know) update the internal usage of the current one to the new one. So it will significantly impact users and generally something you do not want to do unless you absolutely have too.

In my case in the earlier reply we are changing uid formats which has the same effect. And other may say "why don't you use the uuid so you can change the uid to whatever" (as I have said to myself more than once as well). It's simply much easier to track with the uid from what I've done in the past and this should be a one-off change for us. If I can't find an existing solution I plan on trying to script it in and perhaps see how to contribute it as a command line tool.

Thanks,
Jason

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL

Postby tflidd » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:37 pm

jdickert wrote:In my case in the earlier reply we are changing uid formats which has the same effect. And other may say "why don't you use the uuid so you can change the uid to whatever" (as I have said to myself more than once as well). It's simply much easier to track with the uid from what I've done in the past and this should be a one-off change for us. If I can't find an existing solution I plan on trying to script it in and perhaps see how to contribute it as a command line tool.

You should move the discussion to our new communication platform on https://central.owncloud.org where, in contrast to this forum, developers will be around. They can perhaps help you with some details in the script or find a general solution for everybody using owncloud.