FireFox-Bookmark-Sync

You found a bug or you're missing a major feature? Just ask and discuss
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
ctvoigt

FireFox-Bookmark-Sync

Postby ctvoigt » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:43 am

Perhaps we could add a simple useful feature: A Firefox extention to sync bookmarks with owncloud bookmarks.

Following idea could work out:
-Use SyncPlaces to sync BM from Firefox to ownCloud (using webdav)
-Add an importer / exporter of DB to the bookmarks-app
OR
Replace backend of bookmark app to JSON-file (could be against owncload coding-guideline?)
-add configuration: enable / disable

Would this one be a good idea? I would like the feature.
I only wonder if it would be the better architecture to do it the oter way arround and add the bookmarks-app abaility to sync; but my suggested plan would be strait forward and take few time.

Just tell me what you think, perhaps its total crap, or there is a firefox extension, that does all the work ;)

bugs17

Re: FireFox-Bookmark-Sync

Postby bugs17 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:49 pm

Sounds pritty nice, I would use that every day so hope it comes in some time..

Archness
Starter

Postby Archness » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:41 pm

That sounds like a pretty good idea. I would submit a feature request to http://bugs.owncloud.org.

If someone has time they might work on it.

-Arch
Please do not PM me for support. Posting your questions to the forums helps everyone.

avitus

Postby avitus » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:46 am

I like the idea of having this, as my saerch for an import/export/sync function for the bookmarks brought me here.

+1 from me

ulf.kosack

Postby ulf.kosack » Sun May 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi ctvoigt,

I'm on your side with a ownCloud-Sync-App for Bookmarks. Until this app is ready, you can use the Firefox AddOn "SyncPlaces". This synchronises a crypted file with your bookmarks/passwords on a webdav server.

Ulf

denis21
Beginner
Webserver: nginx
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.3.22

Postby denis21 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:21 pm

Great idea! Would be very grateful if you would have done such a plugin to owncloud.

huryepwl

Postby huryepwl » Fri May 11, 2012 1:43 pm

I think it's better not to make a plugin but implement such a feature into the program itself.

simonsays42
Beginner

Postby simonsays42 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:49 pm

ulf.kosack wrote:Hi ctvoigt,

I'm on your side with a ownCloud-Sync-App for Bookmarks. Until this app is ready, you can use the Firefox AddOn "SyncPlaces". This synchronises a crypted file with your bookmarks/passwords on a webdav server.

Ulf

I love the idea! Unfortunately "SyncPlaces" is not available anymore... would be also nice if that app could convert BM from opera/firefox/ie on-the-fly so multiple accounts/browsers could benefit and be used at the same time on different devices. (android, iphone, aso.)

regards
simon

simonsays42
Beginner

Postby simonsays42 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:52 pm

In case you're using the mozilla firefox browser on your computers, tablets, smartphones etc. you should really consider using firefox sync server (aka mozilla weave server). It's far beyond anything that owncloud could ever achieve (like encryption, bookmarks, tabs, history, etc.). It's just amazing, try it out yourself:

http://docs.services.mozilla.com/howtos/run-sync.html

Regards
Simon