OwnCloud Performance Tweaks

Tutorials on ownCloud administration
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
Morgano
Beginner
ownCloud version: 8.0.2
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.6.5

Re: OwnCloud Performance Tweaks

Postby Morgano » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:30 pm

I seems APC is getting obsoleted.
I have not compared different caches, but I use php-opcache sucessfully.
Sharing primarily on LAN using Owncloud 7.0.4 server on 64 bit Mageia 5 - apache - php 5.6.5 - php-OPcache - MariaDB, Clients mostly 1.7.1 on Mageia 5, (versions at 2015-02-02)

cm1342
Beginner
ownCloud version: 7.0.3
PHP version: 5.5.9

Postby cm1342 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:36 pm

I wanted to offer up a performance tweak that's more for for EC2 users, and maybe this is a no brainer, but storage type can really slow down your system. For example I've been using Amazon S3 external storage, and page loads navigating my S3 volumes are between 2-8 seconds. I'm using an Amazon EC2 instance as well and recently directly attached a new magnetic volume (half the price of the regular SSD volumes Amazon offers) and wow what a difference. Page loads on that volume are ALWAYS less than 1 second!

So think twice about your storage because even though my S3 volumes have very fast upload/download speeds thru owncloud, navagating via the WebUI was more than 10x slower than a direct attached volume.

kroko
ownCloud version: 8.0.0
PHP version: 5.5.9

Postby kroko » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:53 pm

what is the suggested PHP accelerator for owncloud server 8.0?

the docs for 6.0 say:
For enhanced performance (optional / select only one of the following):
PHP module apc
PHP module apcu
PHP module xcache

i'm using PHP 5.5 and zend opcache that comes built in. is owncload 8.0 ready for it? the docs say that PHP >= 5.4 is required for 8.0 and zend opcache is THE cache for 5.5+ PHP.

thanks in advance!

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 7.0.x

Postby RealRancor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:10 am

Hi,

have a look for some generic comparsions between those modules like:

http://massivescale.blogspot.de/2013/06 ... cache.html

and choose what you like most.
*gone*

erm67
Beginner
ownCloud version: 9.0.1
PHP version: PHP/5.6.x

Postby erm67 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:29 am

According to the 8.0 docs Owncloud can make use of APCu, a subset of APC that can be installed along zend-opcache.

Object Caching

ownCloud is written to take advantage of object caching. Object caching can be done locally with the APCu extension, or for distributed PHP environments using Memcached. Memcached servers must be specified in the “memcached_servers” array in ownCloud’s config file.

Owncloud code also checks if apc.enable_cli=1 probably for cron jobs and the cli interface, it is usually disabled by default.
APCu needs to be enabled in config.php I think but the documentation is not clear .......
ownCloud is written to take advantage of memory caching.
Many backends are available, see config.sample.php for the available classes.
Some backends are designed for local use, while others are used for distributed use.
A local backend will cache things local to the server, such as file paths, and will not be seen by other servers in the cluster.
A distributed backend will cache things relevant to the entire instance, such as database caching.
To enable a local backend (APCu is recommended) use the config option memcache.local.

Later the docs say:
To enable a distributed backend, which defaults to the value of memcache.local if unset, use memcache.distributed.

So maybe it is not needed ...

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 7.0.x

Postby RealRancor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi,

corrections / suggestions to the documentation should be placed in:

https://github.com/owncloud/documentation/issues/
*gone*

erm67
Beginner
ownCloud version: 9.0.1
PHP version: PHP/5.6.x

Postby erm67 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:38 pm

Actually it was a performance tip, the discussion was about opcache vs APC: APC is now obsolete and some of its features, not provided by zend-opcache, are availabe through the APCu module, reading the documentation it looks like ownCloud is able to actually use APCu as an alternative to other object caching methods to improve the performances of zend-opcache. The drawback is that since APCu provides only local caching it cannot be used in a cluster or with multiple php backends.
It is all in core/doc/admin/configuration_server/performance_tips.html the fact that the docs are difficult to interpret was just a side note.

BTW I did not put anything in config.php only installed the APCu module and the apc.php script (from the APCu distribution package) shows that it is actually used by ownCloud (a lot).
The combination zend-opcache+APCu is used a lot recently by various developers.