HowTo: OwnCloud on a Windows Server 2008 R2 (IIS 7.5)

Tutorials on ownCloud administration
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
emjaygr

Re: HowTo: OwnCloud on a Windows Server 2008 R2 (IIS 7.5)

Postby emjaygr » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:57 pm

I did this installation with 4.0.7 and on windows server 2012. worked like charme. but when I logged in back again, I weren't able to change, add or remove any user or groups... did you experience this too?

devino

Postby devino » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 pm

Maybe it's because of my old server installation (windows SBS2003), but it was hard for me in putting it all up. Eventually most of the problems where solved by putting

Code: Select all

$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] = $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];

in config.php.

Maybe adirty solution, but for me it worked verry good!

St3ve
ownCloud version: 4.5.0

Postby St3ve » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:59 pm

drhirn wrote:Update - 2012-06-08
HowTo works on Windows Server 2012 (IIS 8) RC too

Hi,

first of all, I like to say thanks for this really great guide. By following it step-by-step, I managed to get owncloud running on an IIS 8.0 - it works flawlessly on all browsers (even on Safari @ iPhone).
Nevertheless, I was running into big troubles trying to fix the syncing issues. Neither the Windows Sync Client, nor the iPhone App works. WebDAV is also not working.

Setup:
Windows Server 2012 with IIS 8.0
php 5.4
MySQL Server 5.5
owncloud 4.5

Failure symptomatics:
iOS App:
- Login successful but shows no files / folders. Upload also not possible.

Sync Client:
- Login successful. Syncing ends with an CSync failed message without further details.

Logging:
- Logging level raised to "Debug". php.log and owncloud.log (in data dir) do not contain a single line. I even set a new log-file by editing the config.php file - without success.
Is the logfile posted by Eliam the owncloud.log?

Working scenario:
When I replace the IIS with an Apache 2.2 web server, everything works like it should.

Has anyone a clue what I could have misconfigured in IIS 8, so that syncing with owncloud isn't working (except with Apache)?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Steve

St3ve
ownCloud version: 4.5.0

Postby St3ve » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:19 am

After spending another endless night on fixing my issue discribed above, I managed to get it working.

The problem was the WebDAVModule of the IIS 8.0
I fixed it by starting the IIS Manager and opening the "Modules" properties of the server. It should now display a long list of available modules. There should also be the WebDAVModule listed - deleting it fixed the sync error

.. at least for me ;-)

Result:
- iOS App syncing successfully
- Windows Client Sync Software syncing successfully
- Calendar / Contacts syncing successfully
- WebDAV working

gadric
ownCloud version: 4.5.1

Postby gadric » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:12 pm

@St3ve, does it also work with SSL? I have the problem here, that it works with Windows 7 and SSL. But in Windows 8, it only works without SSL.

MAGI System
ownCloud version: 4.5.1

Postby MAGI System » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi,

I have a problem when installing in windows server 2008.
When i try to install with the web interface i have the error shown in the attachment.

How can i fix it?

Thank you and sorry for my bad bad english :mrgreen:
Attachments
Cattura di schermata (22).png
Cattura di schermata (22).png (101.3 KiB) Viewed 19907 times

rakekniven
Inventory
ownCloud version: 9.0.1
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.6.x

Postby rakekniven » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:53 pm

@MAGI System

Better open a new topic in viewforum.php?f=3
This thread is too long for people just joining forum
ownCloud is not only about files. There is so much more. Explore the apps to extend your ownCloud.

arahing
ownCloud version: 4.5.3

Postby arahing » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:30 pm

Server 2012 Datacenter // Owncloud 4.5.3 // PHP 5.4 // IIS 8 // NO WebDAV, YES CGI

I have an issue uploading large files via the web interface, probably a PHP issue but I have tried everything I can think of in regards to PHP.ini.

When attempting to upload a file about 500 MB or larger the upload never finishes, the progress bar completes and disappears but the pinwheel loading animation near the file name never goes away. The files never appear in the users data directory. If I refresh the page it cancels the upload.

From what I can tell there are no errors in the logs (The IIS logs, please advise if there is some where else that should be checked). Also, There is no "More" option under Logs on the admin page.

Adjusted upload_max, post_max, timeout, memory_limit and everything else suggested in this guide or any other I guide I have found. Adjusted upload settings in .htaccess (Don't think that matters cause IIS but whatever)

The only other changes made to the setup were:
IIS Manager > Handler Mappings > PHP54_Via_FastCGI > Edit Module Mapping > Request Restrictions > Verbs Tab > All Verbs (Was recommend to fix client sync issues, which it did fix)

IIS manager > Default Website > Request Filtering > Edit Feature Settings > Change maximum allowed content length to 4294967295

I believe it started happening after an update from 4.5.1 to 4.5.2 but I am not certain. Previously I was able to upload files larger than 1GB (but never the full 4.1GB).

Thanks in advance!

ryul
Starter
ownCloud version: 6.0.1
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.5.x

Postby ryul » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Thanks for this great tutorial!
I switched from Ubuntu Server 12.10 to Windows Server 2012 (with Apache) because Ubuntu just crashs again and again. Maybe I'm just a Windows user and Linux doesn't like me.

Nevertheless, I got a question specificly for a Owncloud solution on Windows Server.
Does somebody (or maybe everybody) got a slow Owncloud experience on a Windows 7 / Server installation?
I got 2-3 seconds (sometimes longer) load time for each part like "Files" or "Admin".

I opened a new thread for this, but no responses so far. :(

http://forum.owncloud.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7117
Server: Debian 7.3

MannyRik
Starter
ownCloud version: 4.5.4

Postby MannyRik » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi all,

I got many issues running Owncloud on Windows, so I thought I could start a list of the major windows version bugs that everybody is invited to complete:

1. Filenames with diacritics make OC crash : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7015
2. The filecache is very slow when I mount external storage
3. Calendar interface sometimes stops while I am adding an event
4. MP3 tags are not always read, even if they are correct
5. Pictures caching process takes very long (too long) when a user connect for the first time (to me, it should be done in the background, not on logon event)
6. Windows Client makes cgi-php run wild, CPU spikes and in the IIS log I see endless loop of PROPFIND
7. No way to know who and when logged on...

Windows users, If you fell you want more help on Windows issues, please comment and make use heard, because for the moment it looks like developers are not willing to help Windows users and are mainly focused on Linux and this is very sad for us: see last comment at https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/959

Bye