Correct solution to disable synchronization completely via client for all users.

Ask all your questions regarding OC 8.2 Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
crysman
Beginner
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.5.x

Correct solution to disable synchronization completely via client for all users.

Postby crysman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:01 pm

I'd been told that to disable client synchronizations, one shall rename the status.php file to something else.

Question 1:
Is this correct solution whenever I want to force all clients NOT to synchronize anything?
This has worked for 8.2.2, will this work for 9.x and future releases, as well?

Question 2:
Wouldn't be nice to have an occ config option (maintenance) which would do this? Would be more transparent and sustainable...

Use case scenario (why I've needed that): malware infection

RealRancor
ownCloud master
ownCloud version: 9.0.2
Webserver: nginx
PHP version: 7.0.x

Re: Correct solution to disable synchronization completely via client for all users.

Postby RealRancor » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:05 pm

Hi,

there is a maintenance as well as a single user mode (see doc.owncloud.org, occ or config.sample.php).
*gone*

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3

Re: Correct solution to disable synchronization completely via client for all users.

Postby tflidd » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:54 pm

crysman wrote:I'd been told that to disable client synchronizations, one shall rename the status.php file to something else.

Question 1:
Is this correct solution whenever I want to force all clients NOT to synchronize anything?
This has worked for 8.2.2, will this work for 9.x and future releases, as well?

If you delete or change files manually, there can't be any guarantee that it works as well on other versions. If you need a further feature, you can create a feature request.
The maintenance-mode can do it but it also disables the web-access.

crysman
Beginner

Postby crysman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:14 pm

RealRancor wrote:Hi,
there is a maintenance as well as a single user mode (see doc.owncloud.org, occ or config.sample.php).

Hmm, good hint, thank you. However, does single user mode disallow all clients connections?

RealRancor
ownCloud master

Postby RealRancor » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:36 pm

Just test it if you want to make sure. Most people in here would need to do the same to be able to tell you.
*gone*

crysman
Beginner

Postby crysman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:25 pm

RealRancor wrote:Just test it if you want to make sure. Most people in here would need to do the same to be able to tell you.

I may test it, indeed, but that would only tell me if it works now in my current installation. What I need to know is how to do it correctly on any installation on any version 8.2.3 further. For that, I need a reply from some of the developers. How to get such an answer?

RealRancor
ownCloud master

Postby RealRancor » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:55 pm

*gone*