Storage

Ask all your questions regarding OC 5.x Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
ownCloud 5.x reached end of life and is officially unsupported. For details see Wiki page.

Please upgrade your ownCloud.
jwspeicher
Beginner

Storage

Postby jwspeicher » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Is there a way to mount a NFS drive to the data storage of the owncloud server? What is the preferred method of handling storage for owncloud?
Thought i would further clarify. Ideally We'd like to have a netapp/NFS mounted to the owncloud server, we would then provide the storage mount. I got errors when mounting the nfs in the past with owncloud. Is there a prefered method for a setup like this?

santigua
Beginner

Re: Storage

Postby santigua » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:06 pm

on my system for example, after setting up owncloud I just mount a seperate 1TB Disk to /media/data

then I copy the default /var/www/owncloud/data directory to /media/data and unmount the 1TB Disk.

Now I simply mount the 1TB Disk to /var/www/owncloud/data which creates a 1TB oc-webspace. ;)

I guess that should work with any remote disk you can mount....

just my 2 cent
___
Server: ownserver running debian6 with apache2, sqlite, PHP 5.3.3 and oc3.0
Client: OSX 10.6.8 with firefox or cyberduck (finder creates 0 Byte-files)

jwspeicher
Beginner

Postby jwspeicher » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm guessing this requires full permissions? I was getting permissions errors in 2.01 when I tried this approach.

snapr
Admin

Postby snapr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:16 pm

You can also use symbolic links. There might be problems, but it's worth a try:

Code: Select all

# goto OC Directory
cd /[my_oc_dir]
# temporarily move data
mv data _data
# make link
ln -s /[my_mount_path]/ data

make sure the link works before continuing!

# move previous data
mv _data/* data/
# cleanup
rm _data -R
I am currently not active on these forums.

Best regards
snapr

fjacob

Postby fjacob » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:25 pm

Currently, the best way are symbolic links to mounted folders, regardless of what type of storage you actually want to mount in your ownCloud.

But this can be kind of problematic, as ownCloud can't be aware of the specialities of that storage - let it be high latency, special ownership stuff (samba shares) or whatever. Usually the web interface works fine while the WebDAV acces can have some problems.

But as we know there's a big need for plugging in other storages to use as storage for your ownCloud, you will be able to mount storages like samba, nfs or webdav shares, or remote ftp / amazon storage in the admin menu of your ownCloud and configure it to extend your storage or to make it a backup place for the data in your Cloud. This feature is on the roadmap for ownCloud 4.

santigua
Beginner

Postby santigua » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:09 pm

jwspeicher wrote:I'm guessing this requires full permissions? I was getting permissions errors in 2.01 when I tried this approach.

sorry, I forgot to mention. Of course you'll have to set ownership to the webuser.
On my debian thats www-data for owner and group using (being in the right place): chown -R *
Last edited by santigua on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___
Server: ownserver running debian6 with apache2, sqlite, PHP 5.3.3 and oc3.0
Client: OSX 10.6.8 with firefox or cyberduck (finder creates 0 Byte-files)

snapr
Admin

Postby snapr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:12 pm

Take care when using

chmod -R 777 *

Do not modify other subdirectories of /var . If you chmod 777 /var/run on debian, sshd will stop working

~ snapr
I am currently not active on these forums.

Best regards
snapr

jwspeicher
Beginner

Postby jwspeicher » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:26 pm

This is helpful, I am getting an error when i'm attempting to use a local mounted drive. I'll continue to experiment with different methods of mounting/connecting devices to see which methods work.

can not connect to database, using sqlite3. (SQLSTATE[HY000] [14] unable to open database file)

i've sorted this out, definitely a permissions error, will follow the chmod settings detailed above.

needed to run below if you copy the files rather than move with permissions.
chown -R www-data /media/[rest of path]