hosting owncloud - your experience?

Ask all your questions regarding OC 7.x Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
ownCloud 7.x will be end of life soon. See maintenance and release schedule for more details.

Time to upgrade!

Before you post; make sure you are using at least PHP Version 5.3.x - Also read Support Forum - Read this before posting
kukrapok
Beginner
ownCloud version: 7.0.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL
PHP version: 5.6

hosting owncloud - your experience?

Postby kukrapok » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:39 pm

I'm facing probable performance issues using 1and1 shared hosting (mysql issues), so I'm currently evaluating the possibility to upgrade my hosting options (virtual server, dedicated server hosting.. nothing precise yet).

Who is hosting OC service in shared or dedicated 3rd-party commercial hosting? How good or bad is it? Anyone to share his/her experience and detail the hosting configs?

Bolli
Beginner
PHP version: 5.4.x

Re: hosting owncloud - your experience?

Postby Bolli » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:30 am

I use a vserver with plesk and centos for my own cloud and as a mailserver. Its the cheapest way for a lot of diskspace hosting all you want and having a good performance. But if you do so, you must know something about how to manage (update, backup) it and set up your security (like fail2ban, firewall, spamassassin, clamav, https certifcates usw.). Plesk on linux is a good software with gui to manage the standard configuration. A comercial cloudhosting is expensive, most limited and very unsecure :cry:

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3

Postby tflidd » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:32 pm

The cheapest way to find out: Use VirtualBox to install owncloud on you computer and test the parameters (memory usage etc.) till you find a satisfying solution. Then you can say what minimum requirement you will need. This depends on how you use owncloud, sync of many files, number of users, encryption, other apps, ...

With your provider 1and1, they offer this dynamic cloud where you can easily change the performance settings. On a monthly basis, this is quite expensive but take a week-end to set the parameter (probably you can stop the instance so it won't cost anything.

On a monthly basis, the cheapest is probably a vServer. There are specialized sites and forums to compare different offers and share the experience. Don't take a subscription for a long period. Administration panels like Plesk consume some of your valuable memory.

Dedicated servers are good if you need a lot of storage (>500 GB) and you don't want to share.

kukrapok
Beginner

Postby kukrapok » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:52 pm

My plan was to rent a hosting service, not a cloud service povided by a hoster (wow pricing is quite ridiculously high). On the hosting service I want to install owncloud by myself, that's so easy to do.

Understanding your needs with a local test (on a VM) is a good idea, but quite helpless if you don't know how it will behave on the hoster's side and this is exactly the point. I experienced this with 1and1 and their mysql non-performance (in the case of a shared hosting service). On other hosters' side, I see high perf web hosting, vservers, or dedicated servers. I know how much cores/RAM/disk I need, but I don't know how all solution behave when they run OC in multiuser.

That's why I'm asking for other people's experience with their specific hosting, not for a way to host it on my own (I know how to do that) or the way to determine what may be necessary to host a OC service (I already have a rough idea of it). I'd like to compare the existing hosting possibilities in order to see where OC can run safely (multiuser). Of course a dedicated server sounds better than a v-one, and more than a web hosting service. BUT it depends on many things and according to those things, a high-perf web hosting or simple v-server could be enough, that's what I'd like to determine.

tflidd
Forum Moderator

Postby tflidd » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:59 pm

In this case, why don't you take a special owncloud-hosting-offer: http://owncloud.org/providers/

They are optimized for owncloud, you don't need to worry about upgrades etc.

kukrapok
Beginner

Postby kukrapok » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Hmm I wanted to keep all my stuff grouped on my domain name, but I must confess that now I'll think twice about it and evaluate the offers at the link you've just pasted, thanks for it!

tflidd
Forum Moderator

Postby tflidd » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Some providers allow you to create your own dns-entries, and you could use owncloud.example.org for your owncloud service.

kanielb1
Beginner
ownCloud version: 7.0.2
PHP version: 5.4

Postby kanielb1 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:55 pm

I am using 1and1's performance package and have no issues. 2gb dedicated ram and a ssl certificate. I sync my contacts and calendar on my iPhone/mac with my own cloud instance and my personal website.