Sync/backup WiFi passwords

Ask all your questions regarding OC 8.0 and 8.1 Please read the Support Forum Rules
Forum rules
The forums were migrated over to https://central.owncloud.org which is based on the forum software Discourse. The forums here is put into read-only mode starting from today.

More background information about this move and the reasoning behind it is available in this blogpost:

https://daniel.molkentin.net/2016/07/20 ... d-central/
CubieTruck_ArkOS
ownCloud version: 7.0.4
Webserver: nginx

Sync/backup WiFi passwords

Postby CubieTruck_ArkOS » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:59 pm

Hi all, I just registered, nice to meet you. :)

I hope I am posting this in the right topic. I can't find one that covers my subject, as the 'feature requests' topic seems to be closed. Feel free to move my message to another topic if you feel like. 8-)

I have been Googling for a solution to sync information about WiFi networks (e.g. credentials/keys) across multiple devices, but have had no luck. It would be nice to have an OwnCloud feature or maybe an app that would enable me to back up and sync WiFi passwords, so that I won't have to enter them on every seperate device. This way networks information will also be stored 'forever', which might come in handy when I buy a new phone for instance.

Google backup does this for Android, but obviously I don't want to give Google all my WPA keys. :cry:

Android would be my primary goal, but syncing with netbook/desktop (Linux/Windows/OSx) could be nice too. Does such a thing exist for OwnCloud or is there maybe already some work in progress? Thanks for any advice.

tflidd
Forum Moderator
ownCloud version: 8.2.3
Webserver: Apache
Database: MySQL

Re: Sync/backup WiFi passwords

Postby tflidd » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:08 am

I'm not sure about the android app. It would be cool to have a complete backup function for mobile devices (check the bugtracker, which features are available/planned/demanded): https://github.com/owncloud/android/issues

I think it would be difficult to share wifi settings over numerous platforms. That your windows laptop automatically gets the wifi-settings from your android phone or apple tablet? But that's more a feature request, check with the developers on github.

ckruetze
ownCloud version: 7.0.1
PHP version: 5.5.9

Postby ckruetze » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:04 am

tflidd wrote:I think it would be difficult to share wifi settings over numerous platforms. That your windows laptop automatically gets the wifi-settings from your android phone or apple tablet? But that's more a feature request, check with the developers on github.

Not sure about windows, but on Linux (Ubuntu) the wifi settings are in text files easy to read the same is true for Android. Windows is a little bit more tricky but also very well documented and easy to im- and export.

iPhones probably won't give you access to those, your password belong only to Apple.

ckruetze
ownCloud version: 7.0.1
PHP version: 5.5.9

Postby ckruetze » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:24 am

ckruetze wrote:Not sure about windows, but on Linux (Ubuntu) the wifi settings are in text files easy to read the same is true for Android. Windows is a little bit more tricky but also very well documented and easy to im- and export.

I spoke too soon, I forgot that my Android phone is rooted and you'll need root access to read the wifi data :-(

CubieTruck_ArkOS
ownCloud version: 7.0.4
Webserver: nginx

Postby CubieTruck_ArkOS » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:34 pm

But this could be a nice solution for my own sitiuation though. Maybe I could write my own app. Don't care much about Windows anyway. :p

Where do I find these files on a rooted Android phone?